Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:
Having owned a 2009 and now my new 2010 Gold Wing, I've found the driver's seating position for a person my size and stature to be a bit challenging. At 5'-9" tall, 175 lbs., with a 27" inseam, I find myself having to inch forward on the seat in anticipation of stopping so that my left leg hangs in a more downward direction as opposed to being uncomfortably splayed over the wider portion of the seat. Even so, I'm still on my tiptoes while stopped, balancing, and when necessary tipping from one foot to another. I solo ride with a minimal amount preload, which does lower the ride, but I'm still 'tickling' the pavement when at a stand still. I have stock handle bars on my MC which places me in a near normal riding position, so other than having the seat height lowered through customizing, might there be something out there I'm missing? Thanks.

Dougie B
PS I've tried running on 'flats', but I don't get very good mileage out of a set of tires!! :ROFL:

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Have you considered built up soles and heals on your boots??? I have seen this done before and it was commonplace in the trading pits where I used to work before I retired... It might be a cheaper and better solution that a custom seat at mega$$$$!!!

Les

·
Administrator
27,889 Posts
I guess it depends on your build but I am about your height, but about 30lbs heavier. I have progressive springs and run the rear on 20 and unless I use the Wal-Mart gel pad under my sheep skin I have no trouble reaching the ground.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I have pretty much the same issue and after a lot of looking, asking and checking I have decided to have my OEM seat modified.
I contacted Allen at MeanCityCycles and talked about the mods he does. He is going to lower my seat about 1 to 1-1/2 inches, narrow it slightly and change the shape of the "wings" on the sided slightly, all to make my legs longer! Allen's work was recommended by others and after taking with him via email and his office by phone I am confident that they will do what I need and pretty much retain very close to a stock look. That modification with their memory foam mod will cost me $135 plus shipping.

One thing I really liked was the fact that they schedule the seat in for a specific day and mod and ship it back that day. Just need to ship it so they haven't the day before it is scheduled.

Their website is:
http://www.meancitycycles.com

Bob

Sent from my iPad

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
Bob,

Thanks a lot for that info on MeanCityCycles. I just bookmarked that for myself.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
By the way, my seat is scheduled for 2/28, so I will report back when it returns...may be a while longer before I can road test here in PA!

~Bob

Sent from my iPad

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info BBurkett. I've tried thicker soles on my riding boots in the past and didn't care for the feel while actually walking. Turned my ankle too easily. Crazy, eh. I think I'm going to go your route and try a seat modification. Was hoping, however, that someone had a easier solution. Will look forward to your feed back post modification. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
I had the seat on my 1500 modified by Mean City Cycles last April. I must say they did a great job on the seat and got it turned around back to me the day they said they would. I like the seat better now because I can reach to ground easier and it still looks like the stock seat. Very pleased with their service.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Bellboy,
Thanks for the positive feedback on MeaCityCycles!
I am anxious to get the mod done to mine.
I will report back
~Bob

Sent from my iPad

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a news flash. I contacted MeanCityCylces yesterday, 6th Feb, 2013, and learned that they are no longer modifying Gold Wing Seats. See for yourself!

Hi Doug,

We have quit working on the Goldwing seats. My back can't take flipping those big seats around while working on them and I am just getting over one we did a couple weeks ago....sorry man.

Thanks,
Allen
www.meancitycycles.com
866-550-SEAT(7328)
828-428-1521
828-428-1553(fax)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I wonder if he worked on a Corbin seat and not a stock one as the stock is pretty light weight being plastic, Corbin are metal and @ 3 times heavier.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I just checked with Allen and I am good to go! I was scheduled in before he cut out Goldwing seats!

Sent from my iPad

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Their business must be booming to cut out all future Gold Wing seats. I'd think there'd be quite a market for this type of thing but what do I know! Happy to hear bburkett is still getting his done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.