Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 2nd post on this subject: I recently discovered that I had a very sensitive kill switch, in that the slightest movement caused the engine to stop. I just found that a recall for this problem was issued for the 2001 Wings (BIG SAFETY ISSUE). My Wing is a 2007. Has anyone else experienced this problem since the 2001 recall. I was going to return to the dealership however I cannot get the switch to now malfunction. ??? The symptoms of this problem includes; 1. The bike stumbling at speed (happen 3 times in 22000 miles). Onced while in a downhill left hand turn. YAHOO! 2. Recently, the engine would not turn over until I lighly touched the kill switch.3. The slighest movement of the kill switch caused the engine to stop. But now the switch seems to operate normally.??? Please note thatI use this kill switch all the time to shut the bike off. Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Your bike is still under warranty ,so just go back to the dealer and ask him to replace the kill switch as you feel it is a safety issue and therefore dangerous ,If he does not change it then write him a letter and and register the letter so he has to sign for it .That usually does the trick as straight away the onus is on him to fix the bike ,,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I would not trust it, I would go have the dealer replace it for safety reasons. On that side of the bike that is a somewhat complex deal to replace. You cannot get just the Kill Swith, you have to install a whole switch block unit and during this take the hand grips off, and the throttle cables and all that mess too. So it would be peace of mind to just have the dealer replace it. You would not want to bike to loose power in a turn one day.

If you were having trouble with the kill switch, no I would not trust it, just when you do not need the bike to lose power, it very well could.

Kit

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

I'm with the get it fixed by the dealer group - some have found that squirting contact cleaner in there and working it back and forth will remove any crud and loosen the little springs up.

It is a warranty item. :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Stopped at the dealer's. They said if it is working now they cannot do anything under warranty. Considering the registered letter, but really don't want to do that. Hopefully I can get the switch to malfunction again. Thanks for all the helpful info.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Back at the dealers on 11/24/08 due to heated grips and seats not working. A different service manager was there. Explained all my problems, heated grips and seats not working and the kill switch intermittent working. He said he would take care of it. He called me later that day and told me that the right grip had gone bad and that he had a call into Honda to see if they would let him replace the kill switch. Can't complain about him trying. Just wish all the other folks who work there would be so helpful. And I want to Thank all of you for your helpful info.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Buzzmoe2 wrote:
Back at the dealers on 11/24/08 due to heated grips and seats not working. A different service manager was there. Explained all my problems, heated grips and seats not working and the kill switch intermittent working. He said he would take care of it. He called me later that day and told me that the right grip had gone bad and that he had a call into Honda to see if they would let him replace the kill switch. Can't complain about him trying. Just wish all the other folks who work there would be so helpful. And I want to Thank all of you for your helpful info.
Glad you are getting thing taken care of. Makes a difference whom you deal with at any particular visit. Normally if I do go in for a warranty situation, which is rare, I just fix it myself as I have to always leave the bike, get someone to come get me, it sits there for two weeks , then have to get a ride there again......so normally I just fix it.

However without fail, if one of the employees does not give you satisfaction, all you have to do is ask to speak with the owner of the dealership, they do not wish problems and will generally take care of you, shake your hand and wish you well.
So if you know you are in the right, no need to even argue with the employee, just ask to speak with the owner, would be a rare time they did not take care of it.

Kit

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I have a different angle. Don'T use your kill switch, just turn it off with the key. We only use it when we ride by each other at highway speeds, reach over and turn your buddies off, he has no idea what happened. Also the same goes for the reverse. You should only use it when you have no other choice, not on a regular basis, they all wear out if used to often. my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Wild Turkey wrote:
I have a different angle. Don'T use your kill switch, just turn it off with the key. We only use it when we ride by each other at highway speeds, reach over and turn your buddies off, he has no idea what happened. Also the same goes for the reverse. You should only use it when you have no other choice, not on a regular basis, they all wear out if used to often. my 2 cents.
That all fine until your are on a bad set of twistys and the bike cuts out with a dodgy kill switch ... the kill switch is like a bank angle sensor ..it is a major safety issue and if it is dodgy change it ..even if you have to pay ..change it ..your life is worth more than a few bucks .:)

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

I think what Wild Turkey means is it is bad because it was being used too much. I agree, why use it? It was designed as an emergency kill switch for situations such as a stuck throttle. I had one go bad on another bike, I never used it but some smart a$$ at work would always turn it off for me, it soon failed and left me stranded. I bypassed it and let the fool who kept turning it off have his fun.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

I never use the Kill Switch. That is a bad habit that will only gain you trouble such as you are experiencing now.

Any switch that is used, is going to go bad. The more you use it, the sooner it goes bad.

I would prefer to only have to deal with the ignition switch, at least that one is fairly easy to get to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.