Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my fog lights quit working at the same time. The fuse is OK. I was wondering if they are wired in a way that if one bulb was burnt out it would cause both to quit working. The switch has a red light on it that glows when they are turned on and it is not coming on as well.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
My experience has been that this happens when I forget that I have my high beams on. :sadguy: Usually the fogs go out when high beams are engaged unless you have modified the wiring to over ride that feature.

I also have had a burnt out bulb on mine and it was just the one (not both).

This also happened to me when the actual switch for the fogs got dirty and it would stay engaged. I had to take the switch out and clean it (twice actually). There are posts on how to do that on the forum.

Here's one thread: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...m/358867-gl1800-fog-light-switch-failure.html

Hope this helps!

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
As John said probably the switch but could be the bulbs.
Be sure and post back what you find to help others that read this later using the forum search tool to find an answer for they're problem like yours.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check the high beams. I checked the switch to make sure it was connected but did not try to clean it. Doesn't look dirty or dusty. I don't know if it makes a difference but I think they are after market. Kuryakyn I think.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
I'll check the high beams. I checked the switch to make sure it was connected but did not try to clean it. Doesn't look dirty or dusty. I don't know if it makes a difference but I think they are after market. Kuryakyn I think.
Actually, the switch gets dirty on the inside. You won't be able to really tell unless you open it up. Be sure to check the thread I linked to above as it has some addtional information. For example, if you take the switch apart do it in a plastic bag so that little spring doesn't going flying across the room!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. The thread does give good info. I will try to get into it tomorrow and let you know what I find. My switch is a rocker type. A bad switch makes sense being that they both went out at the same time.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I have Kuryakyn (sp) driving lights on my bike and they both quit working. I found that the relay for those lamps quit working and I had to replace it. I'm pretty sure that all fog/driving lamp installations for the GL1800 have a relay somewhere. Be sure you check that out too.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Found the problem. Although the insulation of the wires going to the switch looked good there was a brake in one of the wires. Shortened the wire and put on a new connector and now it works fine..

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Great to hear that you found it and was a simple fix. Did you wiggle the wires and find it or did you use a multimeter/test light?

·
Registered
8 Posts
fog lights no worky

'08 1800,

My fog lights will only come on if:

1- the switch is on
2-the starter is engaged

If 1 & 2 do not happen then the lights will not come on. That's right, they only illuminate for a second while the engine is cranking, just the opposite of the headlights which go OUT while the engine is cranking. The fogs 'should' operate like the headlights AFAIK.

Thoughts?

Rick in Ohio

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rick

Someone has wired them wrong. You'll need to check the wiring on them. Probably at the relay where it's wrong but could be anywhere as it was most likely owner installation.
You didn't say if this is a bike you just bought and it came this way or if it was working then just started happening this way or......

They were designed by Honda, if wired properly, with the plug and play kits, to come on with the switch on and headlights on low beam.
If there are any hand crimp connectors in the wiring of this circuit, it could be a multitude of owner customization wiring and you'll have to follow each wire to determine what's wrong, or if it's a total fubar wiring and don't have the wiring diagram that came with the kit, or or owner customization installation, buy a new kit and start over.
There are bypass wiring possibilities to make them come on both high and low beam position.

What is "AFAIK"???

FYI. When adding to an old post if you problem is different then the original post, start a new post as it'll save us having to read through what's been posted to see if all instructions were followed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rick

Someone has wired them wrong. You'll need to check the wiring on them. Probably at the relay where it's wrong but could be anywhere as it was most likely owner installation.
You didn't say if this is a bike you just bought and it came this way or if it was working then just started happening this way or......

They were designed by Honda, if wired properly, with the plug and play kits, to come on with the switch on and headlights on low beam.
If there are any hand crimp connectors in the wiring of this circuit, it could be a multitude of owner customization wiring and you'll have to follow each wire to determine what's wrong, or if it's a total fubar wiring and don't have the wiring diagram that came with the kit, or or owner customization installation, buy a new kit and start over.
There are bypass wiring possibilities to make them come on both high and low beam position.

What is "AFAIK"???

FYI. When adding to an old post if you problem is different then the original post, start a new post as it'll save us having to read through what's been posted to see if all instructions were followed.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply :^).

New 'to me' bike.

I figured it must be wired inside-out as it did the opposite of the headlights (they go out when the starter if engaged). But, I figured it out while I was laying in bed tonight, it was the human element. My search of fog lights didn't reveal that 'IF' you have the HIGH BEAM switch on AND the FOG LIGHT switch on when you engage the starter then the fog lights will illuminate while the starter is engaged and the main lights will go out. Then the fog lights will go OUT once you release the start button while the main lights come back on.

So, when I switched to LOW BEAM and left the fog light switch on it works as it should. So, operator error, but I think I'll do a little forum surfing to discover the best way to add the 'fog light stay on with high beams' feature.

Thanks for the tip on new problem/old thread with different problem.

AFAIK = as far as I know.

Rick in Ohio

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Glad it was a simple fix! I know, we hate to read the instructions! We think we know how to do it. I mean how hard can it be, right? Well these are complex pieces of machinery and electronics. If you don't have the repair manual and are going to do it yourself, that is your #1 tool. They are a great bike and I hope you enjoy it and have many miles of smiles!

Electrical Connection has a plug and play harness to get them to be on high and low beam.
http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns_gl18foglight.htm

Be sure and introduce yourself and your bike in the new members section.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
#1 call and Talk to them.
Yelling will get you no where. They are good people.
Looking at their options on their harnesses they have harnesses for Showchrome and Hondaline fog lights, I don't know what you have for a set of fog lights.
I also don't know what level bike you have, some of their harnesses are specific to airbag bikes. It doesn't say in the description that that is necessary info but it could be on those. If you ordered online without calling them and asking questions you may find they have a specific one for your model or brand of lights manufacturer (kuryakan may be different wiring or the installation may have been juryrigged?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
#1- planned on calling them today but posted last night for some insight prior to a call.

Yell at them :?. I never yell at anyone including my 5 kids but thanks for the advise ;).

Thanks for the reply.

I'll let you folks know what I find out.

Rick in Ohio

#1 call and Talk to them.
Yelling will get you no where. They are good people.
Looking at their options on their harnesses they have harnesses for Showchrome and Hondaline fog lights, I don't know what you have for a set of fog lights.
I also don't know what level bike you have, some of their harnesses are specific to airbag bikes. It doesn't say in the description that that is necessary info but it could be on those. If you ordered online without calling them and asking questions you may find they have a specific one for your model or brand of lights manufacturer (kuryakan may be different wiring or the installation may have been juryrigged?)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.