Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Recently traded my '97 GW for an '08 1800 with 18K miles on it. After riding for about 3 weeks I am absolutely blown away by its handling and comfort. Checked the gas mileage today and I'm getting 43 mpg. Is this about normal, couldn't believe it when I checked...makes me love this bike more than ever.

Ray in Oklahoma :smiler::smiler:

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

Congratulations Ray. 43mpg is probably on the good side, I've read about many 1800 owners getting less than that.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I'm sure those with more 1800 experience will chime in shortly but congrats on your new baby. I rented one in Colorado and it pulled 43-44 mpg IIRC, riding 2-up. Loved that bike!

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Mine has gotten a steady 40 MPG all it's life with an occasional 42 to 44 1 up 2 up riding hard, easy, doesn't matter much. About 36 pulling a trailer. Up in the Rockies riding easy through the high national parks it did get some awesome mileage though, close to 50 sometimes.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Around town 33 to 38 on the highway at 65mph about 43 on a good day. Trust me yours is getting great mileage.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

Bought new an '03' and have never gone over 38mpg. I'm a cautious motorcyclist and short distance rider but never believed gas consumption was a major factor. Even at today's cost of petrol the entertainment value of the ride is priceless!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
Around town 33 to 38 on the highway at 65mph about 43 on a good day. Trust me yours is getting great mileage.
That's about what I get as well. I have a 2006 and mostly ride two up when on the highways.

I haven't checked for odo error yet. I wonder if that accounts for the wide disparity in quoted mpg's one sees, maybe more than the type of driving does?

Kerry

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Your mileage will vary depending on a lot of factors. Your riding style, average speed, rider and cargo weight, tire manufacturer/size, gasoline formulation (ethanol), windshield height..... etc. Some people are hypermilers who are very careful, shift early, ride easy and get great mileage. Others are more aggressive, shift at higher RPM's, travel at sustained higher speeds and get poor mileage.

I thought I was getting around 42mpg as an average 1 up but my GPS showed that I was in fact reading more miles on the wings odometer than reality. My actual mileage was just under 39mpg.

But the average answer you'll find on this forum and others is somewhere near 40MPG+/- for someone 1 up. Add in a second person, lots of cargo and a trailer and your average will drop down into the 35MPG+/- range...sometimes even lower.

Your bike appears to be in the average range from what I can find on this forum and others. Check your Odometer against a GPS and you'll probably find that your reading 6-10% higher on the odometer than on the GPS which is much more accurate. (Unless someone put on higher profile tires)

Congratulations on the wing, take a ride down to robbers cave and enjoy the scenery.

Henry

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

I ride an 08 model also,I checked it a while back when I went on a 7hr ride.Running mostly on the interstate between 70 and 80 mph I got roughly 38 mpg using midgrade gasoline.

I shift arounf 3000 to 3500ish,the bike has more than enough power to shift sooner,but I can't help it..I likes hearing her purr to me :)

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

At 65 years I don't have the need for high rpm shifting and doing the speed limit is ok.....well maybe sometimes I'm over:smiler: ..... Still get a thrill out of letting this puppy get going though. I thought maybe because of the low miles it was still breaking in a lot. Regardless, like the rest I'm more interested in the smiles per mile than anything else.
Ain't ridin' just the most fun ever :waving:

Ray in Oklahoma

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

You're right, riding and smiling is what it is all about. You might want to change your profile to reflect the 1800 you're now riding.

My wife still has relative in Oklahoma and every few years we go through there. When I'm headed out that way I'll give you a PM and see if you want to take a ride. In the mean time give some thoughts to the Robbers Cave area just south east of Eufaulla or run over into the Northwest section of Arkansas...Pig Trail!! That whole area in the NW section of Arkansas (the Ozarks) is beautiful and has great bike riding roads!!.

Henry

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Don't want to get the thread going in a different direction but here is a brief personal history: Bought my first motorized 2 wheel ride in '07, a new Suzuki Burgman 650. Put 30,000 miles on in 3 years. My wife started riding with me and I got a great deal on a '97 GW. Now I have the '08...just loving it...and can't wait till we head out for Talequah, OK and riding through the "green" part of the state. Just joined GWRRA and looking forward to meeting more really great GW owners and making new friends.

See ya on the road :waving:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I have an 04 1800 and I love it. Congrats on your new bike. Oh, and on average, I get around 44mpg. I've seen as high as 47 and as low as 38 so it really depends on your riding style. I ride to and from work daily so I tend to shift around 2k rpm which nets me an average of 44.89 calculated by the gps on my phone, but then again I also have a CT and I'm using TC-W3 as a fuel additive (1 oz per 6 gal) but I'm not trying to push anything. Ride how you want and enjoy the smiles, I know I do. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.