Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I know this is a goldwing site. Let me first state that I've owed goldwings for the last 18 years. My first wing was a 1000 not sure of the year, but it featured removeable Samsonite luggage.

Currently I'm looking for a 2009 , 2010 low mileage with nav/ abs. Let me tell you it's pretty hardfinding one that fits the bill.

I've noticed the bmw k1200lt any thoughts on comparisons between that and the wing.

I don't want to pay for new wing or bmw 1600 since it's not worth ( not much differant from 09-10's)the new price compared to a used bike with extras already included.

This post has been edited and is now in small and capital letters.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the site!!,

Have you tried Ebay, Craigs List etc. ??

As a personal courtesy to everyone here please take your caps lock key off. With it on its as if you are shouting at everyone.

Stick around the site, there will be others along to welcome you, and some of them may even have a better idea on where to locate the bike your looking for.

Henry

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

The thing I hear about the LTs quite a bit is the final drive failures, and their top-heaviness.

IMHO, it's a little too-tourish to be a Sport Tourer, but not quite to Goldwing level of refinements when compared to the 1800.

If you love BMWs and the K-series inline 4, you'll think them a gem. If you've had Wings in the past, you'll probably want to go for the GL1800 instead.

Test-drive???

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

First, how tall are you? I've read the 1800's can be uncomfortable for the long-legged rider.

Second, what kind of riding do you do?

My son-in-law's father has a K1200 ('04 model, IIRC). Very nice bike with heated seats, powered windshield, abs, very good audio system. Although I haven't ridden it, I know they've put over 70,000 miles on it, with many 1-2 week trips, and love it. My impression is that it would be comparable to your 1500. I don't know if they've changed much since '04, but I'd consider the BMW a very nice touring bike.

I've only rented an 1800 for two days, so my experience is admittedly limited, but I can say with confidence that if I had the budget, this is the bike that would follow me home. Very comfortable for me (5'9, 32" inseam, 160 lbs). My wife is smaller yet so we found it fit us well. Gobs of power from idle to redline, and the handling........truly addicting. Honda built it as a sport-touring bike, and I feel they truly hit the mark. This is why, given the choice I'd pick the 1800 every time. Fits me, fits my riding style.

Given that you're looking at spending some serious coin even for a used one, it may be worth it to rent one of each for a day to know which one really fits.

Best wishes, and keep us posted.

Steve

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've been on road trips with my brother who owns a 1200LT and compared it to my 'Wing and thought both my 1500 and 1800 were better touring bikes. Especially the 1800 which performs a bit stronger in the twisties than the 1500. Pluses for the 'Wing are lots more low end torque, more comfortable for me, zip vibration, easier maneuvering at low speed, and better weather protection, much cheaper and less scheduled maintenance than the beemer. Pluses for the beemer are abit more sporting performance, better gas range due to a larger tank and better fuel economy, better though expensive dealer service, and easier access under the plastic. Amenities aren't too different though the 'Wing seemed to have a superior sound system, and the BMW had an electric windshield and centerstand. All in all I did prefer my Goldwing but the both are excellent bikes.

Being a frugal (cheap?) fellow I didn't look for a particularly new 1800 when I was in the market. I ended up with an '01 in great shape, lots of add on goodies and 65,000 miles. Since my 1500 was approaching 200,000 miles when I sold it and was still running like new without any repairs other than the usual consumables I don't worry about mileage on a Goldwing. More important to me is the cosmetic condition because the engines and mechanicals seem to last forever. My Illusion Red 1800 looks nearly like new and I picked it up for $9500. I could write a check for several new ones but it always makes me feel good to let some other sucker pay that ridiculous new price. I buy it after some one else has taken the beating on depreciation and has spent a bundle on aftermarket goodies.

I don't value that "new bike smell" all that much.:action:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

never rode a bmw but looked at one last month. a lot sharper looking than the wings. The guy traveled a lot on it but had to trailer it back from the mountains as rear went out

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
imported post

I was thinking about this thread today and remembered that Dan had some problems with his K1200 this year. Seems the clutch started going out around the time he hit the 70k mark. Not having a BMW dealership nearby, he brought it to a reputable m/c shop local to him (in Indiana). The guy took his $700 downpayment to order parts, then closed up shop. Lots of Honda dealerships in the area, but no BMW shops. Dan eventually trailered the bike up here to Michigan, where they repaired the clutch problem in less than 1 week. He also had them replace the rear tire. Total bill if I recall was around $1500 for the clutch work and tire (ouch). I have no idea what a clutch replacement costs on an 1800 but 70k seems kind of soon to need that repair, in my opinion.

My point is this. Whichever bike you choose, unless you're planning on doing all your own wrenching, make sure you take the service end into consideration.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd expect a clutch to last 200,000+ miles on a six cylinder Goldwing, especially on the 1800 where you nearly never need to slip the clutch at all taking off. Wet clutches last a lot longer than the dry variety. The only advantage I can think of for a dry clutch is that it allows separate oil for the transmission and engine. Keeps the metal from the transmission, chips, gear wear, etc. separate from the engine. On the other hand there can't be much circulating around in the integral engine/transmission set up on the 'Wing or they wouldn't last as long as they do.

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum PURPLEWINGRIDER. The riding experience on both bikes is very different. The BMW is very top heavy and in my opinion after a test ride, harder to handle at slow speeds and in parking lots. The upside is that it feels quite sporty once you get going.
The GL1800 almost has it all and handles like a dream. All it really needs is an electric wind shield for a 10/10 score.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

As for final drives... Goldwings vs BMW..... I dont see any Trike takeoff, low mile or no mile BMW final drives available for cut rate prices!!!!

Corventure Dave

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

I had a 2000 and a 2003 LT, I never keep a BMW long enough to have them blow up.

But they are all a pleasure to ride, the 05 upare the way to go, they have lower center of gravity and other improvments but none are imune to the final drive failures and the dry cluth problems that include the engine seal leaks and ruins clutch, the trans imput shaft bearing and seal fail and ruin clutch and trans, the slave cylinder is hiding inside bell housing and leaks on clutch and ruins it, you have to remove trans to get to slave cyl. later models have a trap door to r&r slave. The power assist ABS on 02-07 BMW's have lots of failures and are very complicated to repair $2200 for new unit. I have also owned an RT, GT, K1150LT K75 R1100R, R1150R R1200GS.

The LT has absolutly "0" heat blowing on you anywhere, one of the pluses. They all have a feeling of ultra high quality about them and are my favorite bike to ride but afraid of their driveline and brake problems and the riders seat does not like fat guys.I always return to a Goldwing, the greatest bike ever built.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I have to admit if it weren't a Goldwing I'd probably be riding a BMW. On the way home from the Montrose NASSIR my brother wanted to stop at the BMW dealer on outskirts of Salt Lake City for something (I forgot what). While we were there I got talked into trying a slightly used current year 1200LT. There's no doubt I was tempted, the dealer was working hard on me and gave me a real good trade in offer on my 1500 but I managed to resist. It was a nice bike to ride and I was sorely tempted for a new bike just for the change but Mother Honda's hoodo got me and I went home and got a used 1800. A wise choice I think. The 1200LT was really nice but I'm afraid I'm a 'Wing man.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.