Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi folks,

:)I have a 2003 1800 wing uk spec I decided to change the bulbs for the blue type. What a pain in the a**se, i have changed two of them but when it came to the outer ones, the air went blue like my knuckles.

I was given a c.d type manual and it tells you to take the side pockets out to enable you to get to the bulb, rubbish. When the pockets are removed there is a huge electrical terminal block, the size of a brick! and in front of that you find a metal bar.

The c.d manual covers the USA spec only, this i found when ilooked for info on changing the side light bulbs, which as far as i can make out, the whole nose cone needs to be stripped down to get at them. :stumped:

I would appreciate any help,PLEASE. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

My trusty ole 1800 headlight bulb removal tool, available at any good tool supplies..

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Various year model bikes have something or the other in the way either on the right or left side that blocks access to the high beams . On the right side it is the cruise actuator and on my 2008 it is a mess of nonsense on the left side.

The manuals tell you many impossible things. Not totally impossible, just very frustrating.

For the high beam lights, as for my own way, I just take the seat, shelter and the inner side shelters off. Then I can get to the lights that way. Replace both at the same time, wipe the bulbs well with alcohol, to clean them, and wear a pair of rubber gloves to handle them with, just one fingerprint will burn the bulb out in just a couple days. Bounce the front forks too, make sure the anti dive is working, if it sticks the bulbs will vibrate so bad they are gone in a week.

I simply find to deal with the high beams ,it is so much simpler to just take the shelter and side panels off. For one thing that bracket has three bolts in it, so just how do they figure you can use a ratchet up in there? I did try, I cut the handle off a small 1/4 inch ratchet, then when I dropped the bolt into the abyss, I just took it all apart.

That job is kinda similar to changing a water pump on a car with no lift, bending over the front , time you are done , time for half a bottle of tylenol and a back brace and a few bandaids too. I have no idea how they expect you to see what you are doing up in there. You can see a bit with a penlight, but as soon as you stick your mitt in there there is no more room......yea those high beams are a pain, thing is they are the ones I use daily too. My low beams may last 20 years, as I never turn them on.

Taffy's portable fold up hammer looks like a good deal, I need one of those. :D

Kit

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.