Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi.

Just bought my 1st. Wing. Its a 06 model. I have only had a chance to ride it once so far (home from the dealer) which was about a 90 mi. ride. It was after dark & 95% of it was freeway riding. 1st. thing I noticed was how LOW the low beam was. I'm guessing maybe 100ft.+/- . Highbeam was what I would call a short lowbeam range. I tried the light adjustment knob enroute and noticed no change. After I got it home, I tried adjusting it in a stationary position aimed @ the garage door. No change. My son said the highbeam was not a blinding issue in his mirrors when I was following him. It needs a serious adjustment /realighnment. Is the adjustment knob a mechanical or some type of electrical /servo type adjuster?? Is this a commom problem with the 1800's ?? BTW- The dealer did replace the windshield before I picked it up. Could their work have affected the aim /adjuster??

Thanks all.

Walt / aka Storm Chaser

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Since you just bought it from a dealer I would take it back and have them fix it as it should have worked when they sold it to you. You shouldn't have to be the one to fix a decrepancy that the dealer should have fixed and since they replaced the windshield they shouldhave made sure that the adjuster worked.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

its definately electrical adjustment and its a good range of adjustment so you should see it move you can adjust it as you are going along as well, i beleive its a small motor that moves the reflector inside the headlight, dont think replacing the windscreen would have caused it but you never know.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dealer said they would fix anything that had issues. I would probably attempt to correct it myself if its a easy fix / fuse / loose connection. It was closing time for the dealership & I live a couple hrs. from there. Just wanted to get / ride it home since we had a decent weather day. I'm told my Wing still has the remainder of the factory warranty until August. Dealer agreed to new tires & a new windshield to seal the deal. State 8 Motorcycles near Akron Ohio. I'm happy with the deal so far. The owner overheard the conversation I was having with one of the service guys Fri. morn. in regards to when it would be ready. The owner calls me back immediately (which I never requested) after I talked to his service guys to discuss my concerns & then he advised me that he personally would make sure it would be ready Friday a-noon for me to pick-up. Good business practice considering I have never met or talked to him up to that point.

So far the headlight adjustment is the only issue I've found sitting in the garage. The weather here went south again so I don't have enough seat time yet to know if it has any road gremlins. Anything else I should look for that is a common problem with 18's ?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

:waving:Thought there would be some factory warranty remaining. I keep looking at the GL1800's but don't want to ride one for fear of ending up purchasing one. That's how I ended up buying my '83 Interstate. I rode a friends new '82 and shortly after that I started looking around and ended up buying mine Jan '83.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

As each light has its own adjuster, I highly doubt it is a serious problem. Most likely a pin connector is not making contact properly or a fuse is blown.

Once you get them working, you may adjust the manual range on the headlights by reaching up through the tunnel with a 12 mm socket and long extension, and you can actually adjust the up and down vertical range of the lights. It is generally normal to have to adjust them as the factory setting is very low.

Put the rear shock setting on 25, and run the adjuster motors to full up, adjust the headlights at about 25 feet from a wall to where you like them, now in use you can always turn them down with the motor adjustment control.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the electrical schematics and the "how-to" stuff. I'm going to check the fuse and then I'll let the dealer handle it. I'm not comfortable yet disassembling / working on it without a service manual. Appreciate everyone's input!!

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Maybe I am wrong but I think you have to have the bike in nuteral and I am not sure if the engine has to be running or not.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Red, I know that I could adjust the lights while going down the road at 60 before. My problem is that after i changed the air filter the lights in the left panel stopped working and the headlight adjuster doesn't work any more. I can still adjust my shocks, just not the headlights. I believe that it's just a connector (looking at the schematics above) but I will have to get back with what the problem actually was. Tomorrow will be a good day to work on it. :)

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

Red Ron wrote:
Maybe I am wrong but I think you have to have the bike in nuteral and I am not sure if the engine has to be running or not.
the engine has to be running and you can adjust it while riding

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

As an update, I took my bike apart and checked the connectors, but it didn't change anything. Any ideas?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Have you checked you fuse?:byebye:

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Checked twice, once visually and once with a multimeter. I also checked the connections with a multimeter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.