Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Guys. I am new to this forum so please be gentle with me.

I have been trying to make a headset for my 1800. I have plenty of bits (speakers etc) so went an bought wire and 5 pin plugs. Wired it all up using the descriptions from forums. The speakers work fine, I can hear the radio fine. I also borrowed a heaset from my friend and can here him fine, with both his headsets my intercom works great.

The problem is that I cant get my Mic to work. I have tried several and think they are all condensing as they came from computer typr headsets I canabalised. The mic works with my PMR radio for bike to bike but not in the wing system.

Any idea's.

Adrian

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

Hi, I'm from Newcastle (well Whitley Bay actually) and I'm busy messing about with the same thing.

There is an article on this site

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/DIYintercom.htm

regarding making your own headsets and it discusses mikes. That article advises that condenser type mic's need a supply voltage. The commercial headsets for goldwings use dynamic mikes that don't need a supply voltage.

I am stuck as well on this subject.

How good is the sound using speakers from PC headsets?? I used a second hand bike intercom but the speakers are rubbish. Did you use a specific headset?

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

If they are condensing (Electret) type microphones, you'll have to build a small power supply to get them to work...

I actually use the old style Airider headsets that employ an electret type microphone and use a 9 volt battery for power... The 9 volt battery "lives" in the left front fairing pocket of my bike and the passenger battery is under the seat... The Airiders had a small plastic case that contained the circuit board and battery...

Actually, I could never understand why they didn't catch on as the Electret mic has so much more audio output than the current dynamic mics that everyone is using, and the electrets sound so much better and clearer... Maybe everyone thought the battery would require changing frequently... The truth is, the electrets draw so little current (micro amps) that the batteries can last for years... The miniscule current draw of the elecret mic is very similar to the capacity lost from the battery while sitting on the shelf in the store... I change mine at the beginning of each riding season just as a maintenance item...

Here is a little article on how to build that power supply - they are really quite simple to make, or of course, you can try and find a dynamic mic element that will work...

Electret Mic Schematic

Les

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
imported post

Does anyone know if you can buy a Handset for the 1800 Goldwing. I would love to have the handset for times when I am not wearing my helmet.

Thanks for your help.

Pam
aka "Sunshine"

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi

In searching for headsets on Ebay I did find headsets that you wear without a helmet. Its a standard headset with Honda plugs.

Any good.

Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.