Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi All,

I recently check my torque on my steering head bearings. The lock nut was loose but the main adjuster nut was not. So no adjustment was needed. I tightened the lock nut down and bent the tabs over like the book says. I reinstalled the tripple tree and tighten the nut to 76 ft lbs then tightened the shock bolts and all the rest of the stuff. After I got it all back together I found out that the steering lock won't work. Took it all back apart and it appears that the tripple tree (whick contains the lock holes) is too far down and the lock pin won't engage the holes in the tree. Its like there is a shim or spacer or something missing and the tree sits down too far. We're only talking about 1/64" or 1/32". Also after taking it back apart (I drove it for a day), the head bearing lock nut was loose again. I'm sure no, I'MPOSITIVE, I tightened it. What did I do wrong or lose??????

Thanks in advance

JJ

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Starting with the lock nut, as you did not take it apart you have not lost anything such as the dust seal under the nut.

But the reason it came loose again is you have play in the bearings. Take it apart again and torque the adjustment nut to 21 foot pounds. Now work the handlebars back and forth a dozen times, now torque it again, now do it all again. You can now install the notched lock washer and the lock nut and bend the tab to the nearest slot.

As for the rest of it, and the steering lock, never really thought about it , but I suppose it is possible to flip the triple tree upside down, that would be one cause of the excess space.

Not sure about that, but might be what has happened.

Kit

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

Sounds like overtightened bearings, that can make the bearings and whole tree sit low and make the steering lock miss the hole.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I think I figured it out. A post on anotherthread made a lot of sense. The bearings were torqued properly. The notched lock washer installed properly. The notched lock nut is an adjustment that allows the tripple tree to sit at a proper depth. That locknut cannot turn because it is locked against the tripple tree when the tree nut is torqued. It also will not let the bearing nut come loose because of the notched lock washer. Anyway, I finger tightened the notched lock nut and then loostened it 3 notches and assembled everything and bingo the ignition lock works. If one would install a second lock washer it would space the tripple tree at about the correct depth to work. I don't know if all that made sense to anyone but it works. Thanks for the advise.

JJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I recently check my torque on my steering head bearings. The lock nut was loose but the main adjuster nut was not. So no adjustment was needed. I tightened the lock nut down and bent the tabs over like the book says. I reinstalled the tripple tree and tighten the nut to 76 ft lbs then tightened the shock bolts and all the rest of the stuff. After I got it all back together I found out that the steering lock won't work. Took it all back apart and it appears that the tripple tree (whick contains the lock holes) is too far down and the lock pin won't engage the holes in the tree. Its like there is a shim or spacer or something missing and the tree sits down too far. We're only talking about 1/64" or 1/32". Also after taking it back apart (I drove it for a day), the head bearing lock nut was loose again. I'm sure no, I'MPOSITIVE, I tightened it. What did I do wrong or lose??????

Thanks in advance

JJ
The steering lock problem is one that is attributed to the alignment of the ignition lock.
When Re installing the ignition lock.
1. Fit the Ignition Lock but Don't Tighten the hold down bolts.
2. Ensure the Key is in the Lock Position.
3. Pull the Handle Bars hard to the left to engage the lock pin.
4. Now tighten/torque bolts on the Ignition Lock.
5. Recheck locking and unlocking several times befor reinstalling all the covers etc.
It is a hell of a lot of work to take apart again if it doesn't work.
Hope this is of help to others who might have or Want to Avoid this problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.