Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 1800 has a tendancy to jump out of 5th gear ocassionaly, usualy about 30 seconds after the shift. Sometimes it will jump in and out before you can stop it. It is much worse at about 1000 milesafter a oil change. When you make the shift it feels like it is dragging into the gear instead of sliding in. It doesn't do it every time and has spells of being better and worse. If it clunks when you shift--it will be fine--if it drags going in and doesnt clunk it may or may not stay.

I put semi synthetic oil in and that seemed to help but did not cure it. It almost feels like if it was a car --I would say the syncronizer was rough. I bought this bike with 1100 miles on it and it did it in the first 100 miles riding it home. once and awhile it will do it in fourth but that is verry rare. I have tried shifting it many diferent ways and for the most part nothing seems to make much diference. The best way seems to be winding it to something around 4000 rpm and then shift a little slow. It is least likely doing it that way but not completly safe.

Just to get this out of the way:

I don't ride with my foot on the shifter--it is below, (Standard type shifter)

It is not my first Goldwing --I ride about 15-20,000 miles a year

This is my third one -neither my 1100 or my 1500 did this.

I don't speed shift I am 52 and out of that phase of life LOL I am not in a hurry!

Iglad your bike has never done that --so it must be me ---( mine does it )

Just thought I would save all the coments, I read on another post on another site that hadthe same problem--- he got all kinds of negative post to this nature. Anyway!

Mine is a 2008 with about 22,000 miles on it now. Any ideas?? I read somewhere where Honda had a problem with this on some bikes--something related to the gear I think? open to anything that will help. Thanks Ron

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Does it have a heel/toe shifter? The reason I ask, is a good friend of mine is a master Honda mechanic with almost 30 years of working on Goldwings, and he tells me to never put one on a 1800, because 98% of all 1800 transmission problems that have come across his table has had heel/toe shifters. Besides, this bike should be under warranty with that few of miles, I would have thought.:shock: This is something that doesn't come up too often here though. 1500s for a few years had some problems with the shifting forks bending, but not a lot of problems with the 1800s, except people wishing for a sixth gear.:) Welcome to the forum, I'm sure some others will chime in.:claps:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

No the original owner had purchased a 7 yr warranty , but when I bought almost 2 years ago with 1100 miles on it, he canceled the extended warranty. I had a warranty for about 6 mo. , I wondered about it, but took awhile deciding it wasn,t just me. I called a good dealer in my area , he want,s me to bring it by for his mechanic to take a test ride, he said they might be able to help possibly.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

I didn't know you could cancel the extended warranty. Have the dealer run the VIN# and see if it is still covered.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I didn't know you could cancel the extended warranty. Have the dealer run the VIN# and see if it is still covered.
I really wish they'd quit calling it an extended warranty because in most cases it's not.

What is called an extended warranty is in most cases a service contract with a third party. Just like life insurance you're betting you or it will die, they're betting you or it won't. If you or the bike dies they're out the money if it's not due one of the many reasons excluded in your contract.

I believe some of these service contracts can be transferred to a new owner others can't depending on the provider.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Wish I could help and I hope this doesn't happen to mine (knock on wood). From what I know about my trucks trans, you might be headed in the right direction with the synchronizers, but I couldn't say for sure.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I did have the vin # ran and the dealer told me they are basiacly a policy as he said above here, They are transferable and they can be terminated for cash back which is the case on my bike unfortunatly. I had my head up my but and didn't go purchase it back while the few original months of warranty were left on my bike. So there I am. We do have a excelent dealer about a hundred miles away that told me to bring it over and he would see if he could go to Honda about it. The bad part is it has periods of shifting good and periods of shifting bad, it will be my luck that when I take it over it will behave. lol

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

IT IS RIDICULES to have gear problems on a GoldWing. I have owned 75,82 and now a 2007 Wing. I purchased my third wing for reliability .. bullit proof proof for over 100,000 miles in the past three. Just Normal Honda product. At present i have Honda car and Foreman ATV. With this problem of jumping out of gear on 2007 wing.. I think Honda i riding on past reputation! Sorry to say i have known several other 2007 wings with same problem. Honda missed something here and should stand by their product and fix these transmisions be it design or manufaturing problem.
Theses bikes are built for two up pulling a trailer. NO excuse is acceptable to me for a wing jumping out of gear at 26,000 miles.. My bike!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Mine has about 30,000 miles on it now and hasn,t done it in awhile. About a year ago I switched it over to a 10-40 straight synthetic oil, I had always noticed that just after I would change it , it was much less likely to have this issue. The synthetic is slicker I believe, in any case I change it around 3,000 miles . It is much better at shifting with it. It realy isn't right as far as that goes, you can tell by the way it goes into fifth gear sometimes there is a issue. I don't know how to say it other then when it is right, it makes a clunk sound and when it is not---it doesn't. After about a 1,000 miles it starts doing it less and less. It seems to me like they have a clearance issue on that gear or the sycronizer possibly which I think accounts for the new oil helping since it is slicker at the start. Mine is a totaly different transmission after a oil change for about 600 miles. Just for history so I don't get the crap some guys seem to have to mouth off-----I have rode for several years, My other two Goldwings ( never did this), I grew up on a farm shifting manuel transmissions since I was about 8, I am glad your's doesn't do this --be thankfull! Got that out of the way LOL Any way maybe this would help yours till Honda steps up to the plate---If you are using Honda oil--change first to a semi synthethetic for a couple of changes first then change to a straight synthetic to avoid clutch issues. Hope this helps! Good luck

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

You know most have found that using the Delo400 15w40 oil has helped eliminate any shifting problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2008 Wing that I purchased last year with 26,000 miles. I put 10,000 miles on it. The bike started kicking out of 5th gear after I bought it. Not sure if the previous owner had the same issue. I thought I might not be getting it into gear all of the way. It does have a heal toe shift. This is also my first Goldwing.
I would have it kick out of 5th gear about once a week.
I started off on my week long trip and was heading thru Indiana when it started kicking out of 5th gear again but with more frequency. It also started to grind gears and would it would kick out of 4th then 3rd. I pulled over on 80/90 toll road.
Called the nearest Honda dealer and they did look at it to see if they could get me going on my trip.
They would have to take the transmission out to repair.
It turned out that they had to replace every gear in the transmission and also the shifting fork. 3 weeks later I have the bike back.
The mechanic that worked on the bike thinks that is what caused by the heal toe shift.
The Honda dealer that worked on the bike was great.
They would keep me informed and send me pictures of the work.
I have had the bike back for a week. It is shifting perfectly and no kicking out of 5th gear.
I also noticed it is a little quieter.
I like my Goldwing and will buy another one. I do plan on putting over 200,000 miles on this one.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,166 Posts
I would dump that heel toe shifter, I had one, not again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.