Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi all

I have a 2008 model 1800 CSC trike which has just been registered and has only 3000 miles on the clock.

Today we went for a ride and after about 150 miles the the engine just stopped firing as though I had press the kill switch. I rolled to a stop and tried to restart the engine, it fired up and I thought all was well but after about 50 yds it stopped again. This happened about 6 times and I eventually had to stop and call the break down service up and get it trailered home.

I have run the bike in the garage and fisrt time it ran for about 3 mins before cutting out. Second time about 10 mins so I took it out for a ride round the block and it seemed ok.

My wife said that she saw the F1 light come briefly on when the engine stopped.

Not sure if the problem has cured its self, not keen on going on a long ride to find out.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found the cure, any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Mike

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

2008.. 3000 miles.. warranty??? that is where I'd start...

·
Premium Member
6,279 Posts
imported post

Hi MIke,,,Geordiemuppet, has a csc trike,and just the past few weeks ago something ,very much the same occur ed,,it happened to be ,when HGB were building the trike,,they made a poor job of disconnecting the side stand switch,,,,,,and it caused the same problems,,,might just be worth while checking that side stand switch,,,:waving:good luck pp

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
imported post

If not the side stand switch like PP mentioned (if it is the "S" light would come on and it would run in neutral), it might be the kill switch or a loose battery connection.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

As PP says, Christine had a similar failure about a month ago and may have had the same last year. The trike kit installer removed the side stand and bodged the wires. The problem was a loose connection, simple as that, just not so simple at the time.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

the problem i had was that the engine kept cutting out the S light did not come on . it would start and then when i put in to gear it would cut out still no S light this happened three or four times.i pushed it a little way along the road then tried again it started and ran for a few miles then the revs started jumping between 2.5and 3 thousand revs then it was just cutting out all together at no time did the side stand (s) light come on. i think this is worth you checking out and eliminating it as a problem.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Mike,

I see you are just up the road from us.

You are welcome to pop down any time for info/tips on the CSC or just a chat and a brew - drop me a PM. Note, from tomorrow, we are away to the British Treffen for a week, but will respond when we return. :)

Paul

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks for the prompt replies I we check out the electrics and hopefully find the problem.

Unfortunately the bike is not under warranty as I purchased it from GP trikes in Ireland who imported from the States so Honda do not want to know.

Many thanks

Mike

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
imported post

My mistake on the S light, I assumed they would have just left the switch in place and turned it to the up position. If they failed to get a good connection between the green and green/white wires it sure could cause a problem.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Kill switches on the first gl1800s were a problem but they fixed that. A bad bank angle sensor would make the engine cut out but hardly on an 08 with low miles. Bad petrol is another possible as is a bad sidestand switch.

I have heard of sidestand switches going bad on quite new gl1800s and it does seem a possibility.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

Well I have now checked out all the electrics - battery connections were ify but are now good and the side stand switch was still connected, so I made sure that it was in the right position.

Ran the engine for 10 mins and all seemed to ok so I went for a ride and after about 15 miles the engine cut out briefly and the FI warning light came on for a few seconds. This happened a few times on the way back home but it did not completely stall.

Prior to all these problems occuring I did top up my tank and the cutting out problem started about 20 miles latter.

Could it be some bad petrol? would the FI light come on if this was the case. Any further thoughts anyone before I take it to a dealer and spend a small fortune.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Hi just an update, the problem was finaly found to be caused by the alarm system that was installed when I purchased the trike, a requirement for insurance purposes. When this was finally disconnected (process of elimination) all has been well for the last 300 or so miles.

·
Administrator
27,917 Posts
imported post

I have seen no end to problems caused by aftermarket alarm systems. It is usually the installer, not the system.

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
I have seen no end to problems caused by aftermarket alarm systems. It is usually the installer, not the system.
Exactly.... and then there is after market trailer lighting, lighting in general, sound systems....Xm, IPod you name it. Any aftermarket electronics installed a bit wrong has made headaches for manyvehicle owners. Can't always trust the dealers - installers. I would rather make the mistake my-self and learn.... than pay some monkey to hide a gremlin for me to find later. But itdoesn't always work out that way! Oh the friends car's and bikes I have worked on!!! Don't get me started!:shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.