Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys,

When I started my 06 1800yesterday morning to go for a ride, the engine fired up as normal but then knocked for a split second. It was about a week since Ilast used the bike and it has never done anything like this before. I went for a ride (100 klms)and the bike behaved OK. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Did you store your bike on the side stand? Have you checked the oil lately? Was the oil light on when the sound occurred?

Daveo

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Daveo,

Thanks for replying. I usually can only ride at weekends so after a run I store the bike in my garage always on the centre stand 'till the following weekend. This is the first time this has happened on either of my 1800s. The noise was only there for a split second (no more than 1 second)and caught me off guard so I did not notice if the oil light was on or off. I changed the oil and filter a couple of months ago and checkedthe oil level only last week. I have done nothing different that I do every other time I go fora ride. My first thought was that the "big end bearings" were knocking but as I say the noise was over in a flash. The bike has only 34000 klms on the clock.

Regards,

John S.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hi cbhon

I'm just guessing but it sounds like the oil has drained back out of the filter while it sat. I it were mine I would do an oil and filter right away and would not worry about it. Tom

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

What brand of oil filter are you using? It sounds like the oil galleries, and filter emptied out. (dry start) They will make just that noise, till the oil pressure comes up. We hear it more on "quiet" bikes, or any vehicle, for that matter. That's terribly hard on bearings, so investigate getting a good filter with a check valve. Could be, you already have a ""quality" filter, but, maybe it's check valve could be bad. Try an oem, if you're running a Fram, Emgo, Hi-Flo, or whatever.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Sounds like it was dry for a split second. Hard to say. If it happens again I'd be worried, might want to report it to the dealer if it's under warranty. At least they will have you on record as reporting it. Are you using a lite (10w-30w) or heavy (20w-50w) oil? I generally go with 10-40 here in texas. The manual says 10w-30 but either should be fine.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

Do you check your oil with the dipstick screwed into the block, or just sitting on top of the block? It can make a difference on the levels, but I can't imagine enough to cause a dry start knock.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi john do you hold the trottle open on cold start up i thing your suposed to turn on theignation turn the trottle let it go and then press the start buttonyou have to give the oil time to get around the engine before you put it under pressure

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I agree with Oregon Winger and others, dry start for whatever reason. Kit

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

I dunno much about the 1800 but if it can be cranked with the kill switch off, I would do that to get all the internal bits wet first then start.
I think I read the 1800 wont crank like this, if thats true I'd try a different oil, something with more sticktoitivness.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Can't crank the 1800, Dan, like previous models. That's "gotcha" a few folks.

I had a 85 LTD. Beautiful bike. I don't know what the PO, from SD, used for oil in that thing, but at around 70,000 the bearings were clear gone. Crank was flat, too. I ended up with all new shells, and an almost new crank that I got from 123Whitey in Texas. That cost me a chunk. The inside of cases looked like he'd been running that cheap Aero oil, which is that re-refined crap that used to be in some hardware stores. Worse than Pennzoil.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Dry start... change the oil filter.. that is where the check valve is... could be a defective fiilter... don't have to change the oil unless you want to.. (but will have to add a bit)

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks to all that took the time and effort to reply.

My own thoughts were that for some reason it was a dry start but as to why it should occur I didn't know especially as I had just replaced the oil filter a couple of months ago with a "Honda" oil filter. Anyway,,, on the way home tonight I will purchase another "Honda" filterand replace the filter on the bike just in caseit is faulty.Hopefully that will be the end of the matter. An issue I have down here is that Honda(NZ)only give us a 2 year warrenty and guess what my 2 years was upon the 25th October. Anyway guys thanksto all once again.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Good luck, John.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

And fill up the filter with fresh clean oil before you put it on.. that will minimize the first dry start again (even if it is a little messy).. SDB/Jim

------

just to explain why I said "fresh clean oil" (since it seems obvious).. the oil industry has said "do not fill your oil filter"... the reason being: this oil will enter your engine unfiltered... What the oil industry was responding to was the fleet service industry which might oil equipment at maintenance stations and construction sites with bulk oil supplies that are contaminated.. this does not apply to a freshly opened bottle of oil.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

cbhon wrote:
Hi guys,

When I started my 06 1800yesterday morning to go for a ride, the engine fired up as normal but then knocked for a split second. It was about a week since Ilast used the bike and it has never done anything like this before. I went for a ride (100 klms)and the bike behaved OK. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Regards to all,

John S.
When you start it up it takes a split second for the oil to pressurize the system sometimes several seconds depending on the weight of the oil and the outside temperature. This happens in all vehicles no matter if its a bike or a car/truck.

I'm not familiar with the valve train in an 1800 but would assume that it has a hydraulic lifter systemof some description. Often the cause of a knockin that type of system is caused becausethe lifter has bled down ( meaning it has lost pressure )or is sticking. When you start the engine there is a short period of time when the clearance is greater ( until the lifter fills up again ) then its quiet.

I don't know what type of oil/weight you use or how often you change it but I would change the oil & filter out. Sounds to me like the oil has started breaking down some. If it seems that you are hearing a few more mechanical noises from the engine this is most likely the cause.

I'm not going to get into the type of oil question but do support using a synthetic motorcycle oil because it behaves much better in the type of driving that you do. Mainly that the bikesits for fairly long periods between each use. Synthetic has much better drain down qualities.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Bucket and Shim. No hydraulics.

I remember a welder we had at work that had a late 80's Ford 1/2 ton with the 300 six. Man, that thing hammered till pressure came up. I told him to investigate a filter with good check valve. He did, and the rattle went away, mostly. When it was hot, it had the typical "float" rattle. Bearings definitely were hurt.

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Hi Guys once again,

Thanks to everyone for their input. I bought a "Honda " filter on the wayhome from work and changed the filter and oil again. When I went to our motorcycle club meeting lastnight the bike started as nomal so I am hoping it was just a one off thing but it certainly gave me a fright when I heard that knocking noise for a split second. Once again thanks to all that took the time to answer. I will keep you all posted if there are any future developments.

Regards to all,

JohnS

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

John. If it sits for awhile, you might consider holding the throttle wide open, and crank a bit. It won't start, and may clear out fuel dribbles, and pre-lube the moving goodies, a bit. This is assuming your battery has a lot of pizzazz.

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

It might alsojust have been an injector knocking John. This can happen for any number of reasons like dirt or gungein the petrol. At only 34000kms I'd be guessing it's nothing to worry about but seeing as you are going to change the oil and filter it should also cover that angle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.