Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi folks dont know if anyone can shed some light on this but was out on a run today and had done about 150 miles when i noticed that when the bike is stationary and in netural the engine fluctuates between 1200 and 1500 revs (normally about 800). Could the ecm have got its knickers in a twist - hoping that an ecm rest might cure it. The only other thing that i hac done is fill up at the local superstore - always used that garage as it is the cheapest for miles around

Any thoughts would be greatly appriceated.

Rgds

Phil

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
Hi folks dont know if anyone can shed some light on this but was out on a run today and had done about 150 miles when i noticed that when the bike is stationary and in netural the engine fluctuates between 1200 and 1500 revs (normally about 800). Could the ecm have got its knickers in a twist - hoping that an ecm rest might cure it. The only other thing that i hac done is fill up at the local superstore - always used that garage as it is the cheapest for miles around

Any thoughts would be greatly appriceated.

Rgds

Phil
You might check to see if the chokes are coming off completely, a sticking cable can cause this kind of problem.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
imported post

I had this problem the same October last. The dealer disconnected the battery and reconnected it and reset the ECM and it ran fine since that time.

I know of another owner for who the rest ECM did not work. The problem was a faulty temperature sender/sensor which made the ECM stay in cold start mode and heiher rpm.

Do the ECM reset first to see if that fixes your problem.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi guys many thanks for your imput - have checked cables right through and they are not sticking anywhere have reset the ECM (twice) and still no luck - suspect this is a dealer job as i have about reached my technical limits now.

Many thanks

Phil

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Another possible cause for erratic and high idling is the CO sensors on the exhausts. This happend to mine and the sensor was replaced under warranty. Very common apparently on the 01 and 02 models and Honda supply better sensors now.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

My neighbours :18red:is an '02. :jumper:This must be the only :18red:that Honda built that has never given any trouble. :clapper:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

well after having sat in the dealers for 3 days they fired the bike up run a diagnostics check on it and found seven errors in the ecu (codes 10,12,13,14,15,16,17), dont know what they are but they cleared the log and the bike has been fine ever since - going to give the bike a decent run tomorrow and will see if the problem shows up again.

Many thanks for your help guys

Phil

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Nice one Phil. At least two of those error codes are related to CO sensors, so they obviously replaced them.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

No m8 they didnt replace anything - all they did was clear the error codes. All i did before i took it in the shop was to take the tulsa belly pan off and i cant for the life of me see what that did LOL. Been out on it today and done about 100 miles and it is fine - fingers crossed I had visions of the ecu being knackered

manythanks again

Phil

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Hey Phil, I had a similar situation in 2003 with my 01 1800. The dealer replaced the CO sensors without any hassle, apparently there was a Honda service bulletin about it. They replaced my kill switch as well as there was a SB on that too that I didn't know about.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

She has since been back for a full service and all is well - she is running well thats the main thing. Your from my old stomping ground Norman - havent been back for years and years LOL

rgds

Phil

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

I had to have a CO2 sensor for this problem replaced last year also. All works perfect now. :)

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Grouchomax :waving: Please update your profile and complete the LOCATION slot and tell us where you live. :clapper:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.