Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking at getting an 1800 soon, looking at a 2004, on the 1800 site there is a thread making fun of a purple goldwing, a few in the thread say that 9500 is to much for an 04 yet most craigslist and ebay ads are 11500 and over unless they have well over a 100000 miles on them. the one i am looking at is selling for 11000 and has 24,000 with only 7,000 on engine. what should i be looking for?

ps. i couldn't ask on the other thread as i'm not a member just checking their for sale ads.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
i'm looking at getting an 1800 soon, looking at a 2004, on the 1800 site there is a thread making fun of a purple goldwing, a few in the thread say that 9500 is to much for an 04 yet most craigslist and ebay ads are 11500 and over unless they have well over a 100000 miles on them. the one i am looking at is selling for 11000 and has 24,000 with only 7,000 on engine. what should i be looking for?

ps. i couldn't ask on the other thread as i'm not a member just checking their for sale ads.

I'd look for the reason it got a new engine at 17,000 miles. :wtf:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
24K on the bike and 7K on the engine would scare me away. Why the new or rebuilt engine?
Trade in would be 7-8K, and buying from private seller would be up to how well you can bargain.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I agree, my first thought also, Why a NEW engine??

I'd probably be very shy of that one unless you can get it at real bargain price perhaps.

Also that is like 8 years old, give or take a year based on rather it sold early or a year late, so only 3K miles per year?

If you watch CL and willing to travel a bit, I been finding a few listed that seem to be rather decent deals for less.
I'm not looking for an 1800 myself, but a few were tempting even me LOL

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
You really have to search for a good deal now with the gas prices going up and riding season starting. I've seen very few 1800's for under 10k starting with the 01's. There were a few at a good price here in my area but it seems they've been sold in the past couple weeks.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
24K on the bike and 7K on the engine would scare me away..
[/SIZE]
Me too. I've seen one or two 1800 Wings with overhauled gearboxes that gave problems. One of them rattled presumably because something wasn't put back right. Another had a terrible vibration through the footpegs, handlebars and even the saddle.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the engine was replaced by honda as defective.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
the engine was replaced by honda as defective.
Then it will or should have been replaced properly. The problem is once an engine has been replaced it devalues a Wing, not the opposite of driving the price up. If you pay too much for it now, you will take the hit when you sell it in a few years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.