Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1800 radiator overflow line replacement

713 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  vtlowrider 
#1 ·
Looking for suggestions : as rare as it may seem my recent purchase 1800 will not suck the coolant back into the radiator .
I have checked all the obvious issues rad cap ok line holds a vacuum, tank holds pressure .
in short it will push the coolant into the tank but when it cools it will not suck it back to the radiator.

I believe it is the hose as my vacuum test was just me sucking on the line.
It is actually two hoses with junction in the middle.

Is it possible to lube up a new hose and connect it to the old hose and then pull it through the mess to replace the suspected damaged one .
Although I am sure they have the coupling in there for a reason.
Also anyone who has replaced this hose on an 1800 can you give me any tips how to route this small hose to the tank.

:|
2005 gl 1800

#3 ·
Dave
I have spent countless hours on this problem. I removed the tank and the down tube everything looked fine I cleaned it all up and put it back.
I also connected a water bottle to the fitting on the neck it did push fluid out and the fans came on note the bike never overheats. and it seemed to suck part of the antifreeze back up buy left more in the water bottle than it sucked up.
i might try that experiment again with better set up

I discovered when i purchased the bike the plastic tank was bone dry and the radiator was low, still no overheating .
I filled the radiator and drove it for a couple days.
I checked the plastic tank and it was nearly full and the radiator took some coolant to get up to the level of the cap.

Sometimes I wonder if I would be ok to run with the radiator down seems most often it only takes a cup or less to fill it up.
i have been trying to contact the prev owner about his experience with this.

I applied light vacuum to the hose (by mouth) sucked some antifreeze up the hose and it stayed there until I released the vacuum after five minutes.

I also put on a new cap.

Now just for complete disclosure a garage collapsed on this bike a few years back I am wondering about a crack in one of the radiators.

Again I was wondering how to change out the hose to the tank it is not expensive but could be complicated to change thus my question could I connect a new hose to the old hose with a coupling and two small clamps the lube it with wd 40 then try to pull the old one out and pull the new one in at the same time.
Or maybe i just need to pull the seat off to get access.
I could be crazy ...............
The only thing I did not inspect it the coupling from hose A and hose B
Again the bike has never went past the center of normal.

Would love to hear your opinion.

#5 ·
I am with DaveO430 , "A leak elsewhere in the closed system is more likely".
Remember that the coolant in the reserve tank is "heavy" to suck up because of the location of the tank , it is much easyer to suck in some air from some not tigth enough hoses.
I have had the same problem as you with my GL1800 , 2006 , and i ended up with tightening ALL hoseclamps !(you will have to remove the gasoline tank and the fayring to do this ). I havent had any problems with this for the last two years (knock on wood)
BUT i never found THE place where it was leaking .

#7 ·
yellow wings

The yellow wings are the best i have two of them.

regarding my problems with the coolant going back to the radiator.
the issue is resolved I had removed the reservoir tank six or seven times cleaned and inspected for leak,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nothing.

Now I removed it one more time last week and I must have gotten something lined up correctly as my recent test shows that it now is sucking up the coolant back to the radiator.

the last time I filled it I clamped the line to the tank with a small vice grip.(at the cap)
That prevents the coolant from draining down to the reservoir when I open the cap.So I kept that vacuum in the line by clamping it.

previously Each time I opened the cap I could hear a gasp from the radiator that was the coolant running back to the reservoir .
If you do this be sure to clamp the reservoir hose before you open the cap then replace the cap before you remove the vice grips.

My final test was I checked the coolant while on the center stand engine hot and not running.
Dipstick show reservoir nearly full on dipstick.

3 hours later I recheck the dipstick and it now shows low so the only place that coolant could have went was back to the radiator.
\

we can close this thread now and keep it for future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.