Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just wondering at the lack of discussion regarding the 1800 recall that has been issued in the US - Have I missed a thread while my computer has been off-line for the past week?
I thought it would have aroused some comments from those 1800 owners who post a lot!

Dave T

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

It's not clear which 1800 recall you are referring to Dave:

(1) on Jan 11th, American Honda recalled 36,000 bikes - including all GL1800's except 05's - for a problem whereby some Proportioning Control Valves have improperly shaped seals which could develop a leak and cause the brake to fail.

(2) on Jan 26th, American Honda issued a notification to all its dealers confirming the rumours that almost all GL1800's are now subject to the 'frame recall' (which adds additional TIG welding to the frame where the lower cross member meets the side rails). It seems that the only bikes exempt from this recall are the very latest (maybe the so-called '2005 models'?) as well as those that have already been rewelded during the previous recall (plus, I now believe, the very earliest 2002 bikes). I suspect that any bikes which were reframed or totally swapped last time are not exempt. So far, this only applies to US bikes, but no doubt Honda UK (and all other countries) will follow shortly. In the US, the last recall affected ~8,000 bikes - this one affects ~12,000 more!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
imported post

The brake recall only announced a couple of days ago and was mentioned in the tech forum here, but the fact is that since then there has been no further updates on it so we will be better off awaiting the actual service bulletin from Honda.
Nice of Honda USA to send lletters to owners, over here we have to chase up Honda for information.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Anyone know what owners of American import GL1800s should do?

Steve18

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

yellowwing wrote:
Nice of Honda USA to send lletters to owners, over here we have to chase up Honda for information.
Hey yellowwing, :cheeky1:Over here ! :baffled:Over where ! ! :stumped: Where the hell do you live. :whip: or where have youthe tent or caravan parked. :crying:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
720 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
imported post

Hows This, from Freds site

Sorry, it wouldn't copy on here:X

[align=left]

"If it ain't broke, I can improve it till it is"[/align]

Ronnie-The Toolman:waving:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

I registered and logged in and just got this message;

"The topic or post you requested does not exist"

I've seen this same problem on the 1800 riders forum where people registered and got the same message.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Fred H. wrote:
I just got off the phone with NHTSA. Here is the info they got in the official notice.

ALL 2001 through 2004 GL1800 motorcycles will be recalled that were manufactured between October of 2000 and Sept 20th of 2003 (with the exception of the ones that were previously recalled and rewelded)

The bikes that fall into the VIN range posted earlier will get rewelded. The rest of the bikes (2001, 2002) will be inspected and a weld gauge will be placed over the welds. If the welds fail the weld gauge inspection, the bike will be rewelded.

This recall does NOT pertain to bikes that have been Tryked.

On Sept 21st, of 2003 Honda began using a whole new welding process. Prior to that time they had use a variety of processes. All bikes welded prior to Sept 21st 2003 are suspect and must be inspected.

The VIN range for bikes that get rewelded regardless of inspection criteria are:

2003 Model:

Non ABS Model From VIN: 1HFSC470*3A204861 Thru VIN: 1HFSC470*3A212217

ABS Model: From VIN: 1HFSC474*3A201127 Thru VIN: 1HFSC474*3A203256

2004 Model:

Non ABS Model: From VIN : 1HFSC470*4A300001 Thru VIN: 1HFSC470*4A301683

ABS Model: From VIN : 1HFSC474*4A300001 Thru VIN: 1HFSC474*4A300334
Now I'm really tired. Doing this was too much trouble.:D

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Darn, darn and double darn. My 03 is in there as well. Just when I thought I was finished with inspections.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey ddking, :action: How come you dont give the frame numbers for the '01 and '02 :18red: or does mother honda propose to recall all the :18red:in the world. :baffled:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

Well folks, here's the thing. Will Mr Honda Ireland look at (after) imported Wings???

Steve18

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
Hey ddking, :action: How come you dont give the frame numbers for the '01 and '02 :18red: or does mother honda propose to recall all the :18red: in the world. :baffled:

:stumped: :18red: :stumped:

The bikes that fall into the VIN range posted earlier will get rewelded. The rest of the bikes (2001, 2002) will be inspected and a weld gauge will be placed over the welds. If the welds fail the weld gauge inspection, the bike will be rewelded.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Steve18, :waving:It's a long way back to the states. :whip: Thank god my neighbours :18red: is just a basic euro model and right hand drive. :clapper:

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

A HONDA IS A HONDA IS A HONDA ,,AND IF THEY CARRY THE NAME HONDA OVER THEIR DOOR THEY WILL HAVE TO LOOK AFTER THE IMPORTS ...CIARAN

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
A HONDA IS A HONDA IS A HONDA ,,AND IF THEY CARRY THE NAME HONDA OVER THEIR DOOR THEY WILL HAVE TO LOOK AFTER THE IMPORTS ...CIARAN
They don't have to. The bank angle sensor on the GL1500 is an example. They refused to hand over new ones to owners of imports because Honda UK wouldn't reimburse them. If they don't get reimbursed then they won't do the job, unless the import came through an official Honda dealer in the first place. "We're taking it case by case" was the excuse for the GL1800overheating fix and I had a real hard time trying to get them to check my bike, which is NOT a USA import. :X

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
imported post

It appears as if Honda really have screwed up with quality assurance. However all reports that I have is that when Honda take possesion of your pride and joy for the recall they treat it with the respect it deserves.

My business ethos is that all companies endeavour to do the best job they can. All companies get it wrong from time to time. All that seperates the good companies from the bad one is how they deal with things when they get it wrong.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Honda usually end up doing the right thing in the end with these sort of problems. Its just a pity that they almost always follow the same old pattern of denial, followed by grudging admission to faults in "a limited number of cases". :X

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.