Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2003 1800 and the reverse only works for a couple of seconds. Not sure if it worked before as i couldn't start it. I have changed the solenoids which cured the starting problem but the reverse has me beat.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
Does the bike have an AGM battery, and is it fully charged, and is the engine running while backing up?

my '02 has never given me any problems in reverse.
it has an AGM battery and a Battery Tender on it 24/7/365

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Reverse will not work without a good battery. I had it happen to me when the battery was still plenty good enough to start the engine but not good enough for reverse to work, did the same thing yours is doing.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
Now that you mention that Dave,
I remember that my '94SE had the same exact problem.

Reverse quit after about 3 or 4 seconds.

a new battery fixed it.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the best battery on it but have a new one coming, will report back in a couple of days when it arrives. Fingers crossed it's that easy.
Cheers guys

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2003 1800 and the reverse only works for a couple of seconds. Not sure if it worked before as i couldn't start it. I have changed the solenoids which cured the starting problem but the reverse has me beat.
Cheers Bash
I had an issue a few years ago on my 03. Was out riding and stopped for gas. Went to start bike and had ignition on power but no start. Rolled down hill and popped clutch to start and get home. Then found I had no reverse. Could hear click from solenoid but not engaging. Ended up being switches on handlebar. Loosened screws on grip and sprayed Deoxit contact cleaner inside. Everything started to work and haven't had issue since.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cheers Bash
Resistor Assy. For Reverse Part # 36280- MCA- 003

Disconnect this Plug & Wire Assy.
Spray Terminals on Each Male & Female part of plug contact points
with WD 40 Work both contact parts with OLD Tooth Brush with WD40

NEXT Insert both part’s of plug and REMOVE again about 20 Times Then Blow both parts off with air hose.

Reconnect Plug & Try.

This Plug sometimes get’s Green & Loses Contact..

You said you replaced 2 solenoids....... Front one is for engine starter Rear is for Reverse

If you are using cheap after market Solenoids ( DON’T ) they are short lived

Good Luck KEN

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well a new battery didn't work. Was looking at the resister and thinking that may be next as it looks really cruddy. Yes i have bought the cheap solenoids.
Cheers Bash

·
Registered
2 Posts
Resistor Assy. For Reverse Part # 36280- MCA- 003

Disconnect this Plug & Wire Assy.
Spray Terminals on Each Male & Female part of plug contact points
with WD 40 Work both contact parts with OLD Tooth Brush with WD40

NEXT Insert both part’s of plug and REMOVE again about 20 Times Then Blow both parts off with air hose.

Reconnect Plug & Try.

This Plug sometimes get’s Green & Loses Contact..

You said you replaced 2 solenoids....... Front one is for engine starter Rear is for Reverse

If you are using cheap after market Solenoids ( DON’T ) they are short lived

Good Luck KEN
Deoxit will accomplish what you are recommending to do with WD-40 without the toothbrush and disconnecting anything. I have seen it just spray away green corrosion on contacts.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So new battery and contacts cleaned, i have also replaces aftermarket solenoids with genuine one and a replacement resistor and no change. What to check next please guys.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Here is all the manual gives for that situation.
19-16
Motorcycle starts reverse running but stops immediately
1. Voltage to Starter Motor Signal Line Continuity Inspection
Check for a blown No. 11 RVS fuse A (5 A).
Check the starter/reverse motor (No. 12) circuit at the cruise/reverse control module (page 19-39).
Is there continuity?
NO – • Check for open circuit in the Pink wire between starter relay switch B and reverse fuse A
in the fuse box.
• Check for an open circuit in the Pink/white wire between the cruise/reverse control mod-
ule and reverse fuse B in the fuse box.
YES – • Loose or poor contact of the cruise/reverse control module connectors.
• Faulty cruise/reverse control module

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any idea where starter relay switch B and reverse fuse A and B are. Will try the module first as that's quick and easy then start digging in the wires.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Any idea where starter relay switch B and reverse fuse A and B are. Will try the module first as that's quick and easy then start digging in the wires.
Cheers Bash
You already replaced starter relay switches A&B. The fuses are in the fuse box.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So found everything and tested everything and all good. Problem seems to be the solenoid b doesn't seem to be clicking over and now it won't start. Where do the yellow/red and green/red wire from solenoid B originate so i can check continuity.
Cheers Bash

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
So found everything and tested everything and all good. Problem seems to be the solenoid b doesn't seem to be clicking over and now it won't start. Where do the yellow/red and green/red wire from solenoid B originate so i can check continuity.
Cheers Bash
The yellow/red comes from fuse #12 which gets power from relay A when it contacts. green/red comes from the reverse regulator.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited by Moderator)
At some point in my investigation i have blown fuse 12, guessing just before it wouldn't start. Have replaced with a new fuse and now the bike starts again and goes backwards.
Many thanks Dave0430 for sticking with me on this one.
Cheers Bash

1 - 16 of 16 Posts