Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 1800 (trike). I had the reverse module replaced about 2 years ago. About 3 times in the interim, the reverse would stick. Not only that, I could turn the bike off, take out the key and the starter would still be running. I went on a trip a couple of days ago and heard a sound..... thought it might have been the bearings on the radiator fan. Bike wasnt running hot, so I kept going. Eventually it stopped. When I got home I saw that the starter wasnt working. Now I am assuming that it was the starter running (was hard to tell when I was riding.... loud environment), and I think it eventually fried.

2 part question: I want to test the starter. I do have a manual. Can I get to the terminals without taking out the gas tank? If so, how? To be honest, never had any issues on the bike, so Im not even sure where the starter is..... dont mean to sound ignorant.

2nd question: Any insight on why the starter would continue to run, even with the bike off? Appreciate any insight. Thanx! Rick

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
This problem has cropped up with at least a couple of other wings. Most likely cause is the starter relay is fused internally, and when you let up on the starter button, the starter just keeps running, even with the key turned off. Most likely your starter is burned out. The starter engages the engine using a one way bearing (Sprague bearing). It engages the engine when it is turning faster that the engine, but when the engine is running faster that the starter there is no engagement.
There are 2 relays just behind the battery and if this is the problem, you would be wise to replace them both since they're not too expensive.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
You can get to the starter terminal behind the right engine cover to test but to R&R the starter the fuel tank has to come out, but it is not all that hard. The 1800 is the only wing you can pull the tank out of without disassembling the whole rear of the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to thank you for the information.............huge help, especially with the starter continually running. Now it makes sense................ I am assuming the starter is wired like a car, so it always has voltage. I feel better, because I felt that if I changed the starter, I still had the starter running issue.

A couple of years ago, I had the module on the throttle side changed out, and the guy said he had to "splice the wires" and asked me to check to see if everything was ok. Well, it was ok, but then I had this issue, and in the back of my mind, I thought it was because of his workmanship.

I will change the starter and both relays

Thanx again,

Rick!

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
I want to thank you for the information.............huge help, especially with the starter continually running. Now it makes sense................ I am assuming the starter is wired like a car, so it always has voltage. I feel better, because I felt that if I changed the starter, I still had the starter running issue.

A couple of years ago, I had the module on the throttle side changed out, and the guy said he had to "splice the wires" and asked me to check to see if everything was ok. Well, it was ok, but then I had this issue, and in the back of my mind, I thought it was because of his workmanship.

I will change the starter and both relays

Thanx again,

Rick!
No, the starter only has voltage (normally) when the relays are engaged. Relay "A" is probably the only one you need because "B" can not cause the starter to run on, it can only cause it to not work at all.
Which "module" are you referring to? If you mean the switch cluster, the guy that spliced the wires must be a moron or just too lazy to replace the whole thing with it's harness. Recheck his work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.