Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 2008 1800 with about 25,000 miles on it. I bought it 2 years ago with 1100 miles on it. The first set Of original Dunlops lasted varily 8,000 miles and the rear tire developed a soft spot on it. I used to run it at fatory specs at that point. the second set were Metzler 880's with a pressure raised to a recomended 46-48Psi on the back, that set ran about 11,000 miles with out issues. I like them and so I put on a third set this spring at the same pressure. i just came back from a 2500 mile trip pulling a small camper behind it, nothing unusual that I havent always done. I checked the rear tire this morning to find several stips of cord showing on the left side of the rear tire and several sepperation marks in the middle with a small triangle peice on the rights side protuding out looking like it was ready to blow. The tires have only a little more then 6,000 mileson them. All three times, the front tirelooks ok and could go farther. This one I have felt all along was not wearing good, 475 miles before I got home it looked ok. But now is dangerous. I think it likely is possible I am putting extra load on them with both of us and the trailer, it applies about 30-35 lbs extra and we are about 500 lbs together. Does anybody make a tougher tire?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Metzler 880's have a hostory of delamination and other problems on the GL1800 and GL1500. The Dunlop E3 doesn't have those issues, but it is a noisier tyre.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Go Darkside and you won't have those problems. There isn't a bike tire made to handle the load on the wings. 990 lbs gets overloaded quick. Your wife will love the smoother ride too.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

The first tire was a Dunlop, but I don,t remember if it was a E3, It failed with a near blow out at 8,000.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I think I could handle the short tire wear situation, what scares me is I keep coming up with these failures that if I wasn't watching for them , could be dangerous, this last one very easily could have been bad. Sunday Morning before heading back it was ok, I knew I would have to change it in a 1000 miles or so, but after 450 miles , on the last day home on the trip, was a drasticly different picture. Why it didn't blow I could only account to the Lord above watching out for us! This just isn,t acceptible to me, I know the contraversy on the subject, but I don't see how it could be more dangerous then it is now!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I agree 100%. That's why I went Darkside. Had 2 metzleers delam and E3s bad cupping and fast wear. For the money they charge, I think they should last longer and be safer.
Go to gl1800riders.com forum for recommends. Look at bottom threads on Darkside discussions.I have @6000 on my Turanza EL400.
You might want to put on a run on flat tire as they have a stiffer sidewall. Drawback is they are heavier.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Size 195/55R 16 87H

I run a Bridgestone Protenza all season tire at 41-43 PSI

Some run on run flat tires at a lower pressure of 33 PSI

The all season wears great and handles exactly like a MC tire.

Currently approx 9,000 mile on current tire and no sign of wear.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I don't care if the tire is heavier anyway, it has more then enough power anyhow. I just hate the safety issue and the manufacturer lack of caring. I have to believe anything that will hold the tread on will be safer. I have trailer tires that I abuse the heck out of that are safer then these tires.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

Red,

Just out of curiosity, what brand of tire are you running on your trailer?

As for your original thread, I would contact Metzler, they are usually pretty good about dealing with tire issues. They sent me a new tire when I had one go flat after only a 1,000 miles.

Ron

aka Big Brown

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

They are just a run of the mill 8" boat tire like you get at walmart for example, I don't have a lot of choices here but then it never been the issue. I have no complaints with handeling just safety and durability.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

Flying-Red-Baron wrote:
I was actualy thinking about going Dark side, any recomendations what to use?
i just went to the other side, no the dark side, i put a pirreli 195/55r/16 h rating run flat . i have over 400 miles on it and will not go back to the mc tire. i handles just like the mc tire but better. went 2 up for the first time on the new tire and all she did was talk about how much better it rides. there are a few minor differences you will notice but nothing that makes you want to take it off, when you stop at a lite you stay straight up for a while longer.

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

I run a Michelin 205/55/VR16 Pilot A/S Sport (non run-flat, since it rides better)on mine, have over 20K on it and it still looks great. I run 34-37 PSI depending if I'm loaded for travel and pulling the trailer or not. Would never go back to a straight MC tire.:claps: Won't run a run flat since I don't have TPMS, and I'd rather know if a tire is getting low instead of finding out that I've been running around for 300 miles with no air in the rear tire.:shock: Besides, most car tires don't really go totally flat like a MC tire on a GW, but you will know if there is a problem.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I'm running the same tire as GLester (but mine is a ZR rated 91Y), and I rode beachbuddy's Pirelli the other day. Both great options. The 205 is a bit harder to get into the wheel well.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Probably gonna go DS when stock tire is worn. What car tire is at, or closest to stock height/circumference? Will it mess up the TPMS/speedo-odo or still work the same?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Well I went ahead and ordered a tire for the Bike, thanks Beach Buddy for your help , I will have it by the end of the week. I probably might have found a better price , but I decided to get it localy so they can take care of it if I have a problem. It was still cheaper then the Bike tires have been and if it last as long as every body says, I will be a happy fellow. thanks all for your help!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I took the Bike to the shop yesterday to put on the tire,I just have too much going on and I have a trip coming up starting sunday out east. This will be a good test for it, I am kinda excited to see how it acts ect. The trip is out to Conneticut from Illinois , then back thru Aston PA for a short stop,then back home. How bad is the traffic around the New york area? Any recomendations?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

What part of CT? I went up on the Taconic pkwy(nice road) in NY off the 84 to get to the nw corner of CT. Otherwise just use the 84 and that way you will miss the NY city heavy traffic. I'm in NH for a visit. Headed to Bar Harbor Maine this weekend. In 2 weeks I'll head down to the Blue Ridge pkwy to TN.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.