Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone have any good ideas on the towing capacity of an 1800. Looking at buying a trailer, possible camping type. I've seen the video of the 1800 towing the car, I know the power is there, I thinking more on tounge weight and a reasonable weight to tow on a trip. I haven't looked at hitches yet, so I'm not sure what they are rated at. The owners manual talks about weight capacities for the bike, (passanger and gear), but I didn't see anything other than that.

What have you experienced?

Thanks

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

Towing with an 1800 could void your waranty if you have one. What year is your bike? Some of the earlier ones already had trouble with a couple welds and towing would put additional stress on it since it uses an aluminum frame instead of steel like the earlier models.

In this thread: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/47289.html
Honda did not cover it after they found out he had a tow hitch. He said he pulled the trailer 2 or 3 times and it weighed about 100 pounds.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

On the subject of voiding the warranty, does triking the 1800 kill the warranty?

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks D-Rod, wasn't thinking about the warranty, Guess that's out.

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,919 Posts
imported post

ponymanr wrote:
It might not be totally out. If you have your heart set on towing with a Goldwing I might be able to talk Button Lady into us trading you our 1994 Aspencade AND trailer EVEN for your 1800.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

AZgl1500, I have no idea on that except that our local Honda dealer sells the Trikes and converts them so they must have something worked out about warranty. I am sure someone around here would know that.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
ponymanr wrote:
It might not be totally out. If you have your heart set on towing with a Goldwing I might be able to talk Button Lady into us trading you our 1994 Aspencade AND trailer EVEN for your 1800.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

AZgl1500, I have no idea on that except that our local Honda dealer sells the Trikes and converts them so they must have something worked out about warranty. I am sure someone around here would know that.
Nice of you to offer D-Rod, but I have an 81 wing with no warranty and it has a hitch already installed. It was just the thought of the one behind me being more comfortable on the new one. Kieth64 and Michelle didn't have any trouble with their rig, and leading the pack, I might add.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
imported post

Hi Folks...my two cents worth...

Triking a wing = void warranty
Fitting a hitch and towing = void warranty....ask Honda...

So....get over it...:baffled:

If you have decided to make your wing YOUR WING, then go for it...it will add to the usefullness of your machine and bring a whole new dimension to the "winging" experience.

Personally, I pulled a trailer for the first time this summer, and didn't regret it for a minute. Over 3,500 glorious miles, during June/July, myself and three other wings, (two towing), toured and loved every minute of it. Heres are some photos of our beauties...

Three 1800s, all towing various trailers, various weights, travelled at 75 - 85mph across Europe, and no ill effects on the bikes. No cracks, no weaves, ....no problems.

Go for it, you won't regret it.

Steve

Attachments

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Its a big powerful engine with loads of torque - it will pull anything.

Practicalities though, what is legal where you live?

Here in the UK, there are laws regarding the kerb weight of the bike versus the weight of the trailer. These are largely unknown by the police and its more a question of what you can sensibly tow and keep control of the bike.

Christine has a GL1800 trike and tows a trailer tent which weighs about 300 Kilos - it is fitted with brakes and she has no problem.

Earlier this year, I towed Jocke's trailer tent some 400 miles with no real problems behind my solo 1800. This trailer is illegal behind a solo in the UK, but legal in Sweden where Jocke lives. It weighs about 200 Kilos with no brakes and he was previously towing it with a 1200.

I usally to an Escapade and probably a gross weight of around 100 to 150 Kilos - absolutely no problems. :)

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
imported post

Thank you geordiemuppet, as usual a fine contribution. Me....I couldn't resist posting the lovely pics...:cheeky1:

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Hi Roger ,,, as you say the wing will tow anything .the problem is stopping it .Christines trailer that she pulls with the trike has brakes and I think if you go over 50% of the weight of the bike with a trailer you need to look at getting the trailer braked ,

I had a near miss in France about 6 years back when I over loaded the trailer with wine (yesand I dont drink):DI had no brakes on the trailer and I had to stop suddenly and the bike would just not stop ,the trailer pushed it on and it was only with a bit of luck that I did not run into the back of a car .

So do your sums ..under 50% the weight of the bike is a safe weight after that you need brakes to be safe ,Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks guys for all the input. When I started thinking about a trailer, the thought of voiding the warranty didn't even cross my mind, which would be a short crossing. You see so many people pulling them, it just looks natural. I just bought the new one in july and bought the extended also, so I cant just throw 6yrs and 9 mos of warranty away. If I had to pull one, taking the weight and braking into consideration, I'll just take the 81. Not quite as pretty, but I know it would get me there and home again.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
imported post

ponymanr - I pulled a tent camper with my 1500 and while I didn't notice it most of the time, it always scared me due to that extra weight pushing on me while braking. The 1800's have aluminum frames, something extra to think about.

It's not near as much capacity, but if you are interested there are a couple of options that you might consider in getting a little extra carrying capacity without the use of a trailer.

This is a hardshell carrier - kind of unorthodox in appearance:

http://www.wingstuff.com/pgroup_det...gl1800/288_goldwing_Luggage_Items/des/?page=2

and my favorite (the one I went with) -

http://www.dixonymachine.com/Pakit Rak GL1800.htm

Here is a picture installed on my bike:

http://www.wingstuff.com/member_gallery.php?pid=19480&image=7

It comes with a rain cover and I make up a foam insert to use it as a cooler so even if I don't need the space for storage while traveling, I can carry cold drinks for a day trip.

Good luck!

Daveo

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

In all the warranty words used by Honda, the key word is MAY. They use the word it may cause damage, it may void the warranty, it may cause harm or bodily injury, so they have adopted the word may.

As for pulling a trailer, there is no known weight criteria to judge by. So it is left up to us to decide.

I pulled a trailer a time or two, simple fact is they scare me to death. So I would think small and light. Not a lot of weight. The problem with a trailer is stopping the thing. The wing I suppose can pull a car, but it is the stopping you need to look at. And also avoiding an driver who pulls out in front of you, is harder to make that quick escape around him.

Little and light, not a lot of weight.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
imported post

An issue I never thought of. While on a trip coming down the Smokey Mountains traffic was stopped for an hour or more. An apparent accident way ahead. Two emergency helicopters landed and left. I assume carrying one each. When traffic began to flow again we came to the scene. There was a Wing that was pulling a loaded trailer. One of those cheap ones from Menards. Apparently the brakes could not hold the trailer back. Finally pushed the bike out of control and ran in to one of those concrete guardrails.
I guess the lesson is not only what can it pull but what can it stop! Do any of the nicer trailers have brakes??

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I read with interest as I have an 05 1800 that I am going to pull a light trailer that I built from a Harbor Freight small trailer. I put a sears car topper used on it as I have done twice before on other trailers which with all we carry still is a light trailer to pull. I added an addonhitch from Venco Wings and on the test run it did not seem to be any problem at all. I think if you keep the trailer light you should have no problems. A trailer built this way is very cheap compaired to those I see on the road and I know they hold up had one pulled cross country 6400 miles round trip no problem. If anyone needs any information I would be glad to relay what I know about building these trailers.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

In the UK i think there is a max weight limit of 150Kg, it has not to be more than 2.5 metres approx 8 feet longand has not to be more than 1 metre wide approx 39 inches.

In the UK there are loads of bikes that tow trailers, especially the camping events we go to. In the gold wing owners club of great britain, the majority of bikes tow a trailer. The smaller trailers you will not even notice they are on, the big trailers are quite heavy, the bigger the trailer the more you take, so you have to ride with a bit more thought, ie increased braking distances etc. I feel perfectly safe riding with a trailer on, in the UK there has never been talk about voiding the warrenty, however you must make sure that your insurance policy does cover towing a trailer.

There is companies in Europe that produce trailers for solo bikes that are braked but most trilers are unbraked.

Heresa photo taken by Nigelfrom North Wales Wingsof my old bike and trailer, i use the same trailer now, its just a diferent colour

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.