Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I decided to install a hitch on a GL1800 yesterday. It was a kit from AddOn. Instructions were not the best and the pictures on them must have came from a cheap cell phone. the pictures were 2" very small and for me very hard to see. Tore bike apart started to fit things. That is when I became a little less pleased with the hitch. First I figure Honda spent a lot of time and money designing where the saddle bag frame bolts. They want me to move it over and slide a hitch bar between the frame and the saddlebag mount. Ending with the bracket tweaked over just a bit. Next when fitting it I found one of the tabs was not even close to lining up with the bolt hole. It was welded in the wrong place. I am going to make a call tomorrow. But have no plans on using this hitch or another like it. Has anybody else encountered such a problem? Maybe I am being picky about the saddlebag mount, but I figure they should engineer it to fit not just get close and you figure out how to make it work.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

That's about par for aftermarket products. you would think they could attempt to make them fit. I made my own hitch and attached it between the saddlebag bracket and the frame like that one. It really doesn't bother anything.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Rivco or Bushtec VII

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I ordered a Kuryakyn today. Was told no modify install. Easy tire change, and does not move or tweak any brackets.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Ghost Rider 2 wrote:
I ordered a Kuryakyn today. Was told no modify install. Easy tire change, and does not move or tweak any brackets.

I have on of these on my wing, but I will be buying a Rivco or another like it that attaches to the main frame. The Kury ball is metric and will not fit a 1 7/8 reciever. At least mine didn't.

Had to go buy a new ball.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
imported post

Have a kuryakyn hitch on mine, did the install myself, and it fit perfectly. Attaches very solidly to the Frame at the rear crash guards, and 4 points on the rear crossmembers covered by the rear fender. Rock solid, no modification (even the amplifier box bolted to the rear for the premium audio fit back in place with the hitch installed. Bought mine on ebay from a guy out there that sells 1 a day without mention of the brand name (obviously Kury by the pictures though) $139 or so.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gold...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb8399209

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

i bought the 139.99 one two,its ok. the receiver fits alittle looser in the hitch than i liked but that never caused any problems.ive pulled my trailer at least 1600 miles with it.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I also installed the Kury. Bought it through J&P Cycles. Agreed that the instructions aren't that great but with a little mechanical understanding you'll eventually see how it needs to go in there. Instructions actually said that the long bars go up above and and inside the exhaust mufflers. No way, they must go above andoutside. Or vice versa, I forget which, but in the end, it's a good solid mount when you finish. Or maybe I read the instructions one way and tried the other, I've slept since then.

The nuts attaching the bar ends and hemi joints to the rear crash bar were difficult to get to on the left side, just a tight fit to get your wrench in there and you gotta flipthe wrenchover and over to get a new bite. Takes time but it fits.

Also put a little copper anti-sieze on the hemi ball joints as I put it together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.