Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have bought an Hondaline trunk spoiler and I have some concern about the template.

First of all the template doesn't line up exactly with the ejector pin holes on the trunk lid. Not surprising, the check dimension on the template is 1.5 mm bigger than it is supposed to be. It may shrink if I cook the template a little.

But, when I measure centre to centre on the marks and center to centre on the spoiler they do not agree. The trouble is, if I get the template correct the difference will be even larger.

Now, the instructions call for an 11mm hole, and the boss on the bolt is only 9.5mm, it seems that the difference would allow for some inaccuracy in the template, but given that we are dealing with curved surfaces it is difficult to assess exactlly what the outcome will be.

Needless to say I haven't drilled the holes yet.:cheeky1:

Has anyone else done this and have some insights to offer?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
imported post

Hey Bob,
I was looking at the 1800 spoilers at wingworld.com and found the note below on the page. It may explain your problem.

""
Additional Product Info
IMPORTANT INSTALLATION UPDATE: Honda Motor Company has informed us an error has been made in the accessory installation instructions for the GL 1800 Rear
Spoiler with Brake Light. It affects ONLY the following part #s.:

08F64-MCA-111C
08F64-MCA-121C
08F64-MCA-131C
08F64-MCA-141C
08F64-MCA-171
08F64-MCA-1C1C
08F64-MCA-1Q1C
08F64-MCA-1V1C
08F64-MCA-1W1C
08F64-MCA-1X1C
08F64-MCA-1Y1C
08F64-MCA-1Z1C

The installation instructions in these kits contain a template that is incorrect. The
template holes are too close together and do not match the spoiler mounting points. If
you use this template to drill the holes, the spoiler will not mount and the trunk lid will be ruined.
We expect to have the correct templates the week of Sept. 23rd. We will inform those
dealers that received these Spoilers of the distribution plan. Please hold sales of the
spoilers listed here until the correct template is available.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,
Your Wingstuff.com Sales Team

Note - Honda designs these to be wired as a LED brake light only, Most people as well as WE SUGGEST purchasing a Running Light / Brake Light Converter that allows spoiler to wired as a both a Running AND Brake Light for safety and added lighting. See Related Products on this page for options.. A popular option is our Running/Brake/Turn Signal replacement Clear LED Light, it replaces the stock spoiler light and offers all those great lighting effects..
""

You probably got on ewith abad template.

regards, TWOWINGS

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

TwoWings

Thanks for the reply, I vaguely remember seeing something about that but I couldn't remember where.

As it happens my part no. is not on that list, but I think I will contact the dealer and ask them to get me a replacement template anyway.

Cheers

EB

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I fitted the spoiler and I am very pleased with it, but it wasn't easy.

No doubt in my mind that the template was incorrect so I resorted to model making techniques.

What I did was to drill the two front holes, which seemed to be close. I then adjusted the holes with a file as there is plenty of margin for error on these.

Then I made a screw in dowel point on the lathe for one rear hole, used that mark to drill that hole, and then put three screws in plus the dowel point to get the last hole.

It all worked out, I think if I had just drilled the holes according to the template it would have worked with some careful filing, but didn't want to take the risk.

The dealer didn't believe me about the template but that's another story.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.