Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1100 interstate 1982 with 79,000 miles on it. Old whats her name agrees- with the amount of riding we do - we need a bigger better cruiser.Don't getme wrong I love my bike. Most of the guys in our chapter of GWRRA ride 1500's and swear by them. A couple others say the 1800 is sportier, faster etc. Whats a rider to do? I don't want to start a big fight but for our type of riding which is best? We have several long trips planned and have been known to jump on and ride 150 -200 miles with out to much worry. Highway high speed cruising is a majority of what we do.

Thanks for any recomendations

Mike

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

There is no arguement ,,,buy an 1800 and arrive at your destination fresh ,there is no comparison between the 2 bikes ,,ask any winger who has changed from a 1500 to an 1800 ,,It is always 1500 owners who argue that the 1500 is a better bike ,but as soon as they test drive the 1800 they very quickly change their mind ..

Do you know any 1500 owner who changed to an 1800 and then decided the 1500 was better and went back to a 1500 ? I dont think so ...get an 1800.And do yourself and herself a huge favour ..cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
imported post

I have a 1500 and an 1800 and believe me when I say the 1800 is awesome, so much so I'm afraid the 1500 has not been ridden since the day I purchased the 1800.

Regards to all,

John S.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
There is no arguement ,,,buy an 1800 and arrive at your destination fresh ,there is no comparison between the 2 bikes ,,ask any winger who has changed from a 1500 to an 1800 ,,It is always 1500 owners who argue that the 1500 is a better bike ,but as soon as they test drive the 1800 they very quickly change their mind ..

Do you know any 1500 owner who changed to an 1800 and then decided the 1500 was better and went back to a 1500 ? I dont think so ...get an 1800.And do yourself and herself a huge favour ..cheers Ciaran
Not sure you are quite right on this one, the only thing folks do say is that they prefer the looks, just about all, bow to the fact that the 1800 is better in other respects. Since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, that is an individual choice, but I for one would not deny that the 1800 is probably a better machine.

Otherwise Iwould have to agree with you, if someone has the money,then the 1800 is the way to go.

The one thing I am sure of is, I would rather have the best wing I could afford and drive the crappiest car in the world, when necessary, to me the bike is far more important. :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Pete

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
imported post

Seeing as I wasn't allowed to test ride either Wing- I bought the 1500 because it looks much better (to me).

·
Best looking member
3,107 Posts
imported post

In late 2004 there was a used 04 1800 at my bike shop for sale, I asked why, the salesman said the guy use to own a 1500 and preferred the ride andriding position, and the 1500 has more usable luggage space. And for him and his wife that was more important then grinding engine guards in the twisties.So he went back to the 1500. One other consideration is has Honda fixed the folding frame problem with the 1800?? I have read on other 1800 sites that now there are some problems with other welds on the frame , not just the main crossmember. I don't mean to be a downer, but for the price of these bikes in my opinion, you should look at all the aspects. My 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Each to their own at the end of the day although I was more than happy with my 1500 i saw a couple of 1800's and thought hmmm like one of them but never having the money was the main drawback. But then I had test ride on an 1800 and just had to find the money for one. And do you know I have not regretted it once - well just once when they found the crack in the frame - other than that it has been worth every penny. The only thing i do question though is the need to have the bloody thing serviced every 4000 miles!

Phil

ps nearly forgot the moral of the story do not test ride an 1800 unless you are reasy to buy one!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
imported post

If you want performance and style, there is no comparison to an 1800. Drive one and you will be sold on it.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
I had test ride on an 1800 and just had to find the money for one. And do you know I have not regretted it once. The only thing i do question though is the need to have the bloody thing serviced every 4000 miles!
Hey Phil :waving:Everything you say is almost correct. :stumped: You dont have to service the :18red:every 4000 miles, my neighbour says the service/owners manual states quite clearly that you service every 8000 miles :doh:but he gets his serviced every 4000 miles :clapper:just to be safe.

:byebye::18red::byebye:

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

The 1800 does what each model of the Wing has always done, that is it just blows away the previous models. If I am in a position to buy a newer Wing next year, it will most likely be a GL1800.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

BRowan wrote:
The 1800 does what each model of the Wing has always done, that is it just blows away the previous models. If I am in a position to buy a newer Wing next year, it will most likely be a GL1800.
Hey BRowan :waving:My neighbour is thinking of buying a new:18red:next year. :clapper:Will i tell him to put your name on his'02 :18red:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

I like my old cars, old snow machine, my old goldwing and my old woman. and I like my money in my pocket. My allowance does not warrant the 1800. I like the lines of all my old toys :jumper:and my 1500 too.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:

hello...... well, ? my buddy walter went back to the 1500 after a 1800, he is totaly happy.

smoother ride, and fits better. and ? sad to say..after the loss of his job and the loss of his wife and the medical bills wiped him out, so the 1500 was much cheeper for him..........he is thrilled to be back in the wind. he thinks the 1500 is just fine.

weet

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Simple choice really, it has to be:18red:eek:r :18red:eek:r :18red:eek:r :18red:.

But then I'm biased and I missed out the:15red:when I sold my :11blue:so maybe you should listen to the other guys.

Whichever you choose, ride safe.:cool:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

This thread goes way back... what did you decide Mike? was it the 15 or 18 for you and the good Lady?:baffled:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
This thread goes way back... what did you decide Mike? was it the 15 or 18?:baffled:
Hey :baffled:Who the hell is Mike :baffled:

:?:18red::?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hey - who the hell is redwing

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.