Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have Metzeler 880's on my 2002 Goldwing, they have about 12000 mles on them. The wear is minimalbut I have abnormal tire wear.They are dry rotting and getting scallopped. I should get alot more miles out of them if this wasn't occurring. However, since they are wearing as they are, I hear a thumping sound and the make the steering wobble badly at different speeds. Anyone else have this problem with Metzelers or do I have something wrong in the front end? I would appreciate and help that I can get. Thanx Don

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

hello m8 and welcome

I have just changed my metz's had to have my bike reframed and that showed how bad they really were. Loads of tread left but the handling was awlful. It was that bad you couldnt ride the bloody thing. When you ran you hand over the tread it curved round the side walls and then hit a ridge across the centre of the tread. If i had known better i could have sworn they had been used with a sidecar.

chagned the tires and the bike is like new again.
Rgds

Phil

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Pumpkin Wing :waving:Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net.:clapper:

Bridgestone are the only tyre that the :18red:is happy with.

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Hi Phil, It was great hearing from someone so soon. I hope that my frame isn't bent, it has only 25000 on it and I bought it as a demo with 233 miles. I am waiting to hear back from Metzeler on the tires. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanx again. Don

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

I have put Bridgestone 704/709's on mine instead of the Metz's. As of now they are giving a good ride but time will tell. Hopefully get a few miles on them today.

Brought mine a year old with 900 miles on it and up until the frame crack have had no real problems with it - love it to bits to be honest. And because yellow is not a standard colour over her there is not that many of them about. Yellow is best!!!!

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

12000 miles is pretty good wear, now the cupping is most likely from improper inflation, usually too low. The dry rot ??? hard to tell without seeing the tire, chemicals in the garage Chlorine etc.

If you were happy with the wear and ride, get another set and bring the pressure up a bit.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
I have put Bridgestone 704/709's on mine instead of the Metz's. And because yellow is not a standard colour over here there is not that many of them about. Yellow is best!!!!
Hey Phil :stumped:Why didn't you say that in your first post, that you fitted BRIDGESTONE :clapper:Of courseyour :18yellow:will be like new again. BRIDGESTONE is the only tyre that agrees with the set up of the :18red:Now the colour of your :18yellow:is another story, :headbanger: thats the colour the AA use.

:byebye: :18red: :byebye:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

forgot to mention that i had fitted Bridgestones as I was still getting over the shock of having to pay for the tyres Redwing. Mind you it was cheaper than at the treffen. Popped in for a couple of hours (Think I saw young Steve there as well - eyeing up ots of goodies - mind you the weather has not be kind to the campers cold, wet and a lot of glum looking campers), One guy paid £137 for a front tyre on his 1500 that ws more than my back tyre. Tell you the Treffen was not the cheapest place in town mind it was worth going just to see so many old m8s

Rgds

Phil

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
forgot to mention that i had fitted Bridgestones as I was still getting over the shock of having to pay for the tyres Redwing.
Your still playing hard to get. :stumped: How much did you pay for the set of BRIDGESTONES. :weightlifter:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
imported post

Sorry m8 - yesterday was a longggggg day £230 front and back tyres, valves, balancing and a cup of coffee

rgds

Phil

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Phil wrote:
£230 front and back tyres, valves, balancing and a cup of coffee
£230stg = 339.650euro at todays rate. :action:Thats a good enough price m8. :clapper: My neighbour paid 330euro for both tyres fitted :weightlifter:+ valves & balancing, but no cup coffee :crying:

:cooler: :18red: :cooler:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.