Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How do the two compare? I'm thinking strongly about changing to an 1800 but I need to know if it handles much different to the 1500. I don't really want any more struggling with all the weight or heart pounding as I turn round corners. Opinions from riders who have tried both machines are welcome.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
How do the two compare? I'm thinking strongly about changing to an 1800 but I need to know if it handles much different to the 1500. I don't really want any more struggling with all the weight or heart pounding as I turn round corners. Opinions from riders who have tried both machines are welcome.
My humble opinion for whats it's worth. :) There is only one comparison between the 1500 and 1800 wing. They are both Goldwings, :D thats where it ends. :cool: You still have the weight to deal with when parking,etc. but when the wheels of this lady start turning, she handles like an R1. If you do purchase an 1800 remember that RED is the fastest colour. :pGood luck with the purchase. ;)

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

I "only" have a 1500 but have had the pleasure of riding a leased 1800 for a weekend. Pure pleasure, feels a ton liter instead of a mere 40 odd pounds. ABS brakes are the real deal. If only I had the extra $$....

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I'm having the same questions about moving from a 1200 to a 1500. Haven't had the opportunity to actually ride the bigger version yet but I've sat on one and it feels a whole lot bigger than my "little" 1200.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I had a 1500 for a year, and adjusted to it after a few miles. Unfortunately, I had to sell it. 8 years later, I picked up my Aspy 1200 and don't see myself changing for a long time... Much better gas mileage, much worse seat...

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The 1500 seems heavier when you just sit on it (well it is quite heavier than the older Wings), but when you ride one it feels lighter. That's the ongoing characteristic of each major new model - they feel a lot more nimble and lighter than the previous model. I'm still stuck with my humble GL1100, but I do love it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

After all is said and done, my '84 GL1200A is a damn good bike. The seat could be better but I'm going to check in to a Corbin over the winter which should cure "monkey butt". Can't really spend the money to go up to a 1500 right now as our last child is about to enter college and good old Mum and Dad will no doubt have to have to make substantial contributions for the next while.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Keener,

Why not get a decent used saddle from an 87 model. The 87 was the much plusher saddle and the best of all the 1200 model years.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the advice, Eamonn. The hunt will start right now...

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

My last Wing was an 85 LE. It was very nice but still a bit of a "pig" in the twisties. I now have a 2003 GL-1800. What a difference! I keep dragging my toes in the corners. Guess I need to change my foot position. This one's like a sport bike. Corners like one and tons of power and torque. The weight dissapears when the speed comes up. Amazing!

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

I must admit, I had the opportunityto upgrade from my 96 1500SE to a new 1800, but during the test ride I was amazed at how much smaller it felt compared to my 1500, also a lot of the folks in my local region were having quite a few problems with their 1800 'wing, including one frame cracking problem. This, on top of having to pay out an extra 10k pounds for the upgrade has put me off for a while. I have noticed though, that the prices of 1800'sare starting to fall, maybe even more so when the modified'05 model hits the streets, this coupled with the fact that the 1500 is still holding its value, at least here in the UK, might convince me to take the plunge. I know that I'll probably regret not upgrading when I return home to Ireland at the end of the year:X

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Greenwing, the price of 1500s is dropping as well in Ireland. Since about Easter there have been loads of 1500s for sale, often up to 15 or 20 in the buy & sell alone (last year you would see no more than 2 or 3 at a time). The result is that lots of the 1500s are being left unsold, the only exception being the older (88-92 or thereabouts) ones that are more affordable. I think most of the guys selling the newer 1500s are upgrading to 1800s, judging by the amount of new Wings I see on the road.
The price of used 1800s hasn't really dropped, the new price is now about the same as it was in 2001 when the 1800 arrived first. With the dollar doing bad against the Euro this last couple of years I think its a good time to buy an 1800. The only guys losing cash on them are those that paid big money for them in 2001.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Thanks Ambrose,

I think that you're right, but there is still a big market for 1500's over here as there is an amazing amount of die hards that do not want to upgrade to the 1800, as a result late 2000 or 2001 GL1500 'wings are very difficult to find on the second hand market and 1500's are still holding their value. I thinkmost wingersin Ireland are a lot more forward looking and were quicker to accept the 1800 than over here, hense the glut of 1500's on the Irish market as you describe. I guess that I will need to upgrade to an 1800 before returning to the ol' sod later this year, the cheapest 1800 that I've seen new over here is £13,500 or about €20,000, but there are plenty of excellent second hand examples for around the £10,000 (€15,000) mark.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

The 1800 had a slow take-off in Ireland in the early days Greenwing. The high price compared to a 1500 was a killer for most people, but now that the low dollar has brought the prices down about 20% we are seeing lots of new and recent 1800s on the roads.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

This topic commenced withcompairing the handling of the 1500 wing to the 1800. :(Now it has changed to compairing the prices of both wings. :? The same answer applies here, there is no comparison in price either. :X If you want to buy an 1800 wing the answer is ! ! "You must remorgage your house" ! ! :cool: If you were living in Denmark you would have to take out two morgages. The price of the 1800 there with a few extra's would cost you US $100,000.00 now convert that to euro or Stg.:shock: ;) :dude:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
imported post

Sorry for drifting off the subject Redwing, but I really appreciate all the comments and tips which has helped greatly in making up my mind, particularly with regards to fact that I'll be moving home to Ireland soon. Steve has posted an excellent article on VRT rates on the website, the VRT on bikes has dropped recently and makes the effort of buying a bike over here and keeping it for six months here and one year in Ireland hardly worth it. I'd betterleave it at that before I start another subject going :)

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Keener.,,, Please give me a heads up when you locate a 1987 seat.. I'd like one for my 86. Can they be that much better???

All Gave Some,, Some Gave All

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Renegade: No luck yet but it's early in the game. A new saddle from Bike Bandit runs about $350 US but does not come in the colour I want - 1984 dark brown. Either way - new or used - I'll have to get it re-covered. I'll certainly keep you in mind as the hunt progresses. Where are you based?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

The 87 saddlle is much plusher, with extra side support in the rider and pillion pads. Honda finally got the 1200 perfect in 1987 (with the nice lower cowl & covers as well as the saddle and also the final drive was much better) and then they went and discontinued it!!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I've just been advised a new saddle for an '87 Aspencade is no longer available from Honda Canada. Price, when the piece was available was $431.27 Cdn. One supposes a new saddle for an '84 is also now a historic artifact.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.