Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I like my 1500 but I do have aspirations in a little over a year to sell it and get
an 1800. New or a low mileage used one that is ok by me. I must admit I like the titanium color but silver/grey would be my second choice. I do not want another dark color.

Anyway yesterday was our 23rd wedding anniversary and we were out together just kicking around waiting for a movie. We stopped by a local Honda shop and looked at several. They did have five or six used wings and of course a good assortment of 09's.

I was able to get my wife to sit on the back of a couple new wings and she was impressed by how much more room she had. She is not a large lady but about 5'-4". We both commented on the trunk and saddle storage not being near as spacious as the 1500. But I must say the difference I noticed was in getting the bike off the sidestand with a rider. It was light as a feather by comparison to my 88 1500.
Is the center of gravity that much lower on the 1800 vs the 1500? On this past summer trip to Rushmore my 1500 was very top heavy. It certainly was no fun low speed maneuvering in a parking lot loaded during our trip. As soon as I can I will
be taking a spin on an 1800 with her on it. The one thing I have never liked is
a lot of traffic stops and the light to light thing on a 1500. It is a heavy bike but have
always just preferred the open road on it than riding around two up here in town.

Merry Christmas from Texas
David and Susie

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

I have been looking this year also. I have been to 1/2 dozen or more dealers. Got a couple of fair prices outright. Noone wants to give me anything for the 1500 in trade. You can go to the internet on ebay and by a new 1800 for about the same price that a dealer wants to make a trade. After a lot of thought I am keeping my 1500. It has 37,000 miles on it. I just can't see the money that a new one cost as compaired to what I have.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ghost Rider 2:
I completely understand your view. Mine is similar. My 1500 is a 1988 first year model. The bike is 20 years old. I bought it just 2 years ago with 81k on it and it now has 93k on the clock. I have changed both tires, timing belts and kept the oil changed. Its really pristine for 20 years old. It is the lowest mileage vehicle I have. But not the newest though. I will sell this bike if possible with the economy being what it is in a year or so. We want to take
it on one more long summer trip. Most likely Grand Canyon or
Yellowstone.

Trading with a dealer is out. If I can find an 07,08 for what they have been listing on e**y or get a local dealer to sell at a similar price would do a new or nearly new one. It will be a new motorcycle in lieu of a new pickup.
Generally I purchase a new truck every ten years but not this time.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes the center of balance and handling is very good on the 1800. Low speed handling is great, and it has the power to just let the clutch out in first gear and go, no throttle, one up, two up, down hill, uphill, very well designed for riding two up.

Best save your pennies, you are now curious, just be ready to buy when you go take one for a ride.

Try to get one fora half day ride, put a hundred miles or so on it. That way you will get used to the touchy throttle when you first try one out, it is so responsive some fear it.

The 1800 is a great bike. Besides we have much better headlights than you 1500 guys.

Hey it will be a good time to buy one in about four or five months. I am already seeing people in financial trouble selling, you will be able to pick up a relatively new bike for $14,000. I am already seeing 2008 models for sale for 15 to 16 with almost no miles.

Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
...The one thing I have never liked is
a lot of traffic stops and the light to light thing on a 1500...

Merry Christmas from Texas
David and Susie
I HATE riding through cities like that on any bike, but it happens to me about 3-4 times a year when following others.

Once, on a hot day ride last summer, I told the group to , "have agreat day" on the CB when they headed into a city....for the second time in only 260 miles.

93k+ miles on an '88....seems like a good time to upgrade, especially in TX.

Merry Christmas to you as well, David & Susie.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Kit:
Funny you should mention the touchy throttle. Prior to buying this 1500 I had ridden several 1200's without any problem at all. When I went to pickup the 1500 I made the mistake of giving it throttle leaving the P0's garage. Well that was a mistake. This particular bike has a bit a stumble off idle too. That bike lurched just about every direction except where I wanted it to go. Fortunately I hauled it down in time. Dam* floorboards had never ridden
a bike with them.

Popeye:
I really hated the wing in traffic and lots of stoplights when I had the floorboards on it. Best thing I did was sell them to a member on this site. Slow speed manuevering for me on that wing with floorboards was pretty well non-existent.

I am well aware now to just let the clutch out without
any throttle input. Kind of figure the 1800 will be that way too. In fact when I ride the 1500, first gear just gets me rolling and by the time I am in the turn its already in second.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
As soon as I can I will be taking a spin on an 1800 with her on it.
If you take a ride then the deal is sealed. You will have to get one and it will be soon!

The difference in power between the 1500 and 1800 was greater than I expected. It made me feel like "I better hang on or it was going to leave without me" :shock:

The handling in the curves was also beyond my expectations. I always felt like the 1500 had to bepushed or forced through the curves. That is not the case with the 1800. It is a blast in the twisties.

I am a member of the drop the bike club... the 1500 got dropped a couple of times at a stop light and stop sign. I have not even come close to dropping the 1800 yet ... It feels sooo much lighter ...

BTW: I also like the headlights... :D

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
imported post

I can certainly testify to the fact that if you ride an 1800 for a couple of hours you are going to have to buy one. Don Evans and I test rode a couple last summer - his 1500 was replaced with an 1800 within weeks and my 1800 came along shortly after. The 1800 cannot be compared to the 1500 for handling. It feels a couple of hundred pounds lighter.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
...Popeye:
I really hated the wing in traffic and lots of stoplights when I had the floorboards on it. Best thing I did was sell them to a member on this site. Slow speed manuevering for me on that wing with floorboards was pretty well non-existent...
I never had floorboards. My size 14 feet won't fit inside the shifter....I still HATE city traffic.

Funny about the instant response with the 1800's throttle [zero hesitation]. I've heard many funny stories about folks experiencing that for the first time. But it's the lower center of gravity that I'd like most.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
imported post

I ride a 97 GL 1500. I was at my mechs shop last week, to order some plastic parts and he had an 03 GL 1800 that another customer was selling. He told me to take it for a ride. So, I did. All I felt was pure excitement. WOW! What a beautiful machine.

I enjoyed it so much that my neanderthal brain was trying to justify buying it right then. I decided to wait and start a GL 1800 fund, so that when I return from my next tour in Iraq, I will be able to go pay cash for one. Until I own one, I will never forget the exhiliration of that first ride.

Wing free,

SHNEV

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
imported post

I made the mistake of letting my wife sit on an 1800 last year. Shortly after that she bought an 03 and sold her cruiser. I really can't complain as she bought it with her own money.

The 1500 and the 1800 are 2 totallt different/similar bikes. I still ride my 99 1500 and can ride a lot tighter circles, slower, and generally maneuver it better. I think it's only because i have a lot more miles on it than on her 1800. I'm sure if I rode the 1800 more, it too would become second nature for me.

And yes, it feels to me like the 1800 weighs about 500 pounds, even though the weights are almost identical. The seating is also lower to the ground, and I think the lower center of gravity makes it feel lighter. One thing I will say for sure is the 1800 has one hell of a set of brakes. Hers is not antilock, but really will stop on a dime. Acceleration is better than the 1500, I guess because of fuel injection.

I'm going to keep my 1500 for a few more years, then maybe look around for a good used 1800, 2-3 years old with low mileage. Meanwhile, the misses lets me ride hers sometimes.

Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
imported post

Test driving an 1800 is like looking at puppies, if you go 'to just look the at puppies' you will bring one home, ifyou test drive an 1800, you will have to have one too. Don't ride one until you are ready to buy one.

I found mine on Craigslist and got it for a fair price. I bought an '06 asseveral significant improvements were made that year, and it is the first year with the Airbag. The only major change I am aware of since '06is built in XM radio and TPMS on the '09's.I also bought an '06 because I love the Titanium paint. Got a usedWing with low miles and have a warranty until 2014, can't beat that!

I searched Craigslist city bycity, then finallyfound mine in Boise. After that, I learned that if you download FireFox as a browser and Crazedlist, you can search entire regions of Craigslist at once. Saves a lot of time.

Plus, if you find a good deal on one in another state it's the perfect excusefor aRoad Trip! I came home to California by way of Colorado - had 4,000 miles on it before it saw the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

TitaniumWing:
I bought my 1500 off craigslist. It was less than 20 miles
from my house. We had been looking at Eb** for them also.
Several in the Denver area at that time. Like you I badly wanted to make a road trip home on one.

The new titanium color on the 09's is not the same as your 06. Most likely will be looking for an 07 or 08. Seems craigslist is just loaded with those two year models right now.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I used Craig's Helper (multi craiglist search, sortable by mileage, in individual states, etc) to find mybike, http://www.craigshelper.com/ Its simple to use.

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

TXRLGL1500 wrote:
We want to take
it on one more long summer trip. Most likely Grand Canyon or
Yellowstone.
David:

We traded our 1998 1500 and got our 2005 1800 in August. Absolutely no regrets.

I was like you and found the 1500 got very heavy for me (a short ass) by the end of a days riding.

At first the 1800 felt like a toy because it's so easy to get off the side stand and manouver. The light feeling does go away which is good because you respect the bike again.

As far as your Grand Canyon trip, check this out for next year.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum14/57751.html

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Wrongway:
Would like to make that meet n greet but the time of year will be impossible.
Work starts ramping up for me (school district) along with several birthdays on
those particular dates.

The wing by itself weightwise is not a problem but when we travelled to Rushmore last july we were loaded pretty heavy. I had an 18 gallon tote bucket tied down to a rack that I had made for the hitch. Also a bag up on the trunk rack etc, etc.
I am 180 lbs. The wife, is well.... quite a bit lighter. Anyway it was the heaviest I have
ever had the bike. We were fortunate not to have to travel thru any large towns except leaving Denver.

The next trip will be with a HF trailer purchased last summer.
(The pic in our avatar is of us leaving Denver this past July you can just see the tote
on the back)

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
I used Craig's Helper (multi craiglist search, sortable by mileage, in individual states, etc) to find mybike, http://www.craigshelper.com/ Its simple to use.
I just tried that one out, like it a lot better than having to pick each city that I wanted to look at.

Its usefulness on ebay is pretty marginal though. Picks up too much junk crap instead of just motorcycles. Easy fix though, just uncheck ebay. :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Interesting. I've never used it on ebay. Only for craigslist. IIRC, I think he just started the ebay search thing. Maybe he'll get the search system better in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.