Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

since i bought this bike it has felt like it had been lacking power, and started checking for vaccum leaks. after not finding any i went ahead and pulled the carbs and found the culperate. there is a a slight tear in one of the carb slide diaphrams. was just wanting to know if there is anywhay theese can be temporarily repaired untill this winter when the bike is going to be torn down and gone over iwht a fine tooth comb? my future wife and i were going to take it on our honeymoon in september, and that is why i am wanting to find out if it can be repaired till this fall/winter. thanks

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Some years back I tried various different rubber/silicon products on a variety of diaphragms. Other Hondas use the same type of diaphragms as the 1500 but I was never successful with even a temporary fix.

For the amount of labor involved I'd go ahead and bite the bullet now.
I'll assume you have a '90 GL1500. I checked HDL for price…..

PISTON, VACUUM
16111-MN5-004 002 $130.06 $92.86

Your price would be $92.86 USD each. Pricey…. but what isn't now. I'd do both at the same time. Sorry.

P.S….. if you have a different year make sure to look up the proper number. I know the later models have different numbers. Maybe someone else has had better success with a fix. I was at the dealership level so I had to guarantee my work. That limits the possibilities I could explore for a 'cheap fix'.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i understand and appreciate the honesty, i went ahead and did some research online and found this page http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f.../92592-carburetor-diaphragm-repair-works.html

but im a little skeptical about this. i went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered a set of oem thru the dealer (gritting my teeth the whole time too!)

also i found theese slides frome saber cycle,http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product819.html the only thing is that the part number on the microfische for the bike deos not match these here but wondered if that original part number had not been superseeded with a newer part number. they are for a gl1500 but i know that honda made slight adjustments to the slides over the years that the 1500's were in production. figured that if they dont fit mine then maybe the might help someone else.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Yep. I got a pair from Ron Ayers a couple years ago. That's about what I paid, too. :gunhead:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

YOu did good to get the OEM.. and now... When you do the "fine tooth comb" later they can be re-used... you haven't lost anything and gained some confidence for the near term..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.