Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1950 Panhead that has been, for lack of a better term, raped over the years. I am hoping someone on here has a bit of experience/knowledge with old HDs. I'd like to get it running again just for the fun of it. Not impressed with what i've found in the way of "people" familiar with these bikes. So far the mechanical aspect hasn't bee much of a problem... now onto the wiring. It has been converted to 12Vnegative ground with a newer, updated generator. From there it goes to an early 90sHD voltage regulator with three wires. Where these wires should go to is where I am lost...any help out there? TIA, Rick.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,857 Posts
imported post

Some photos might help. But, basically, three voltage regulator wires would normally be in/out and ground.

Does that make sense?

If it gets ground from mounting then I don't know what the third wire is for.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
imported post

A few miles to your south is a place called Street-Track & Trail. They used to have some good "Old Timey Mechs". (Geneva/Conneaut area) Lots of older v-twins running around that area, somebody's gotta know something. I thought the wires were Ignition/Battery/Ground, but I don't know Harleys at all.



There's also a custom shop in the Meadville area owned by Robby Knievel, theymight be able to offer some ideas... :gunhead:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,317 Posts
imported post

You're really digging deep. I had a couple of them and made the same conversion.

2 wires to the generator, one is usually marked F for Field and the other A for Armature. Third wire goes to the ignition switch.
Remember to polarize the generator. To do so, connect a wire to the positive post on the battery and momentarily touch it to the A post on the generator. Just enough to strike a little spark.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
344 Posts
imported post

I had a 47 knuckle head back in the day. My brother had a hopped up 48 knuckle head 80 that would scare any of us today! it was built by Jerry the Jew, a local Hell's Angel. what ever happened to kick starting your bike ?
:thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
344 Posts
imported post

sorry , what was the question? I don't remember well !:raspberry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,534 Posts
imported post

SidecarMike is right except the 3rd wire goes to the battery +. If connected to the switched side of the ignition you would not be able to shut the engine off, the generator will continue to charge as long as it is turning so it would continue to power the ignition. And I believe you connect battery to field to polarize the generator, I could be wrong on that it has been a while.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Started working on it last week. The small shops around here haven't changed abit...and that aint a good thing. Any help available out there. I was wrong, only two wires come off the generator. Now to get spark to the plugs, coil is bad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,242 Posts
imported post

To bad you are so far away, I could refer you to several people that really know their stuff.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
720 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

IdahoRaider, are these shops or people that have worked on them from home. If it's a shop can you get me a number? Shops around here don't want to even talk to you unless you're sweating $20.00 bills. Alls I want to do is get it running, fix any unknown problems and then upgrade from there. I called one shop about a bendix carb rebuild kit and they argued that it's a bad choice, I countered with "Is it good enough to get fire in the hole?" and they kept arguing. Needless to say any parts I do need to buy won't be from them. Maybe my use of the technical term "fire in the hole" confused them cause they never got a motor they've worked on to start. :ROFL::baffled:



chdesh, a factory manual at best would be vague instructions but thanks for the effort.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
SidecarMike is right except the 3rd wire goes to the battery +. If connected to the switched side of the ignition you would not be able to shut the engine off, the generator will continue to charge as long as it is turning so it would continue to power the ignition. And I believe you connect battery to field to polarize the generator, I could be wrong on that it has been a while.
If you hook it to the battery it will run the battery dead, hook to ignition switch so when you turn switch off there is no power.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I got it running yesterday! Valvetrain is noisy and I still need to set points/timing. Then I'll check the charging system and go from there. Wonder how many "bikers" could identify the kickstarter and describe what it's for?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
26,534 Posts
imported post

michigander wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
SidecarMike is right except the 3rd wire goes to the battery +. If connected to the switched side of the ignition you would not be able to shut the engine off, the generator will continue to charge as long as it is turning so it would continue to power the ignition. And I believe you connect battery to field to polarize the generator, I could be wrong on that it has been a while.
If you hook it to the battery it will run the battery dead, hook to ignition switch so when you turn switch off there is no power.
No, when the generator stops turning the regulator disconnects. Unless there is an isolated terminal on the switch to connect it to there will be no way to shut off the ignition. Also the switch probably can't handle the charging current.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,253 Posts
imported post

Some where in my garage I have I think a wiring diagram for voltage regulators...Man its been a day or two since I have wired one..I do have again in my garage voltage regulator plastic plugs along with GM alternator plastic plugs....but here's a very basic wiring diagram that might shed some light on your problem...I know its for a Ford tractor but look at the voltage regulator, three wires with a ground...:?....

http://www.myfordtractors.com/12volt03.shtml


Good luck with it....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
249 Posts
imported post

hope ypu have found out by now but just in case. Th etwo wires out of the generator are armature and field, they both go to the voltage regulator, They should be marked on the generator but the armature lead is usually heavier wire. from the regulator the third wire goes to positive battery. you may have to flash polarize it if it has sat a long time before it will charge.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
64 Posts
imported post

9394SEs wrote:
I got it running yesterday! Valvetrain is noisy and I still need to set points/timing. Then I'll check the charging system and go from there. Wonder how many "bikers" could identify the kickstarter and describe what it's for?
After living with, and loving a '68 sportster, and a'59 pan, I'll bet the back of my calf muscleknows !!!



For whatever reason the sporty was worse at 'kick-back'.:badgrin:

(Yowch...just saying the word hurts!)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top