Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Fellow Wing People!

My cousin and I are working on a farm find rebuild, it appears to be a 1975 motor and a 1976/78 frame. This is not 100% clear as it has had a lot of modifications done, and it could be a combination of more than just those. Lots of eyebrows have been raised at what was going on "under the hood" so to speak.

The wiring harness was in such bad shape, chopped, changed, jumped, cut, soldered etc, that we had to remove all the insulation aesthetic insulation to see what was actually going where. What a nightmare this has become. The bike came to us in barely running condition, with very little on the electrical side actually doing what it should be doing.

I have searched high and low for a diagram that matched what we had (No RLU, no RLU Resistor, No Acc. box, No Volt Meter, strange relays etc.) and have had no luck. The best I've found are the commonly available diagrams for the USA 75 and the USA 78. I beleive there may be different ones for the EU region bikes, but can't find one anywhere.

Alas, I have attempted to create my own version, relative to what we have available, and what makes most sense to my very limited capacity brain...

I've attached a PDF of the one I made, hoping like hell that there's a guru on here who can help us out. We're not electricians by any means (actually a Aircraft tech and a Mechanical Engineer) so we're sure there must be mistakes, but we don't know where.

Is there anyone that wouldn't mind taking a look at this and letting us know if there are major red flags?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Ken and Andrew...

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,306 Posts
It is a lot to look at but I didn't see any faults in the major parts I went over.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,832 Posts
I followed through most of it, and from what I can see, you guys have done a terrific job of making that Schematic.

Minor detail, but the 'Alternator' you have labeled, is a STATOR.
as such, it has 3 yellow wires from the Stator windings going to the Rectifier/Regulator.
the OEM harness had two plastic connectors for the 3 yellow wires.... the pins are too small to handle the current and they burn up over time. Most bikes end up with the 3 yellow wires extended and twisted, soldered together, and insulated with Shrink tubing.

I have color Schematics of the USA bikes if you want those?
If so, I can send you a link to download them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Where are you? I think i have a reasonable 1000 loom but i am in UK.
I you get me your email via conversation i will scan the uk diagram and send it you

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,832 Posts
I you get me your email via conversation i will scan the uk diagram and send it you
Brian, his signature shows:
South Africa
State/Region: Gauteng
City: Benoni

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, that would be great! I’ll message you now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I followed through most of it, and from what I can see, you guys have done a terrific job of making that Schematic.

as such, it has 3 yellow wires from the Stator windings going to the Rectifier/Regulator.
the OEM harness had two plastic connectors for the 3 yellow wires.... the pins are too small to handle the current and they burn up over time. Most bikes end up with the 3 yellow wires extended and twisted, soldered together, and insulated with Shrink tubing.

I have color Schematics of the USA bikes if you want those?
If so, I can send you a link to download them.
Thanks! I’ll correct the name. I’m a novice at this. Trying to make sense of what’s on the bike has been a challenge. I’ve also seen I missed the acc. Box and it’s 5 amp fuse. Will modify it and repost.

Huge thanks for all the help!

·
Administrator
26,306 Posts

It actually is an alternator or AC generator, the part that has the windings is a stator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts