Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys just bought a 1975 GL1000 about a month ago and I'm stuck rebuilding the carbs. I'll upload some pictures of what it looks like as well as a photo of the primary and secondary nozzles that I cant seem to remove. My manual also mentions an aluminum plug?? I'd greatly appreciate some help with this. I'd love to have my bike ready to ride this summer and with your help I'm hoping to achieve that goal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Welcome from Oz. Nice bike. If you search the forum you will find heaps of rebuilding/cleaning carbies information.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! Any pointers you could give me to find the appropriate thread? Sorry I'm terrible at locating what I need in forums.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Refer to your last picture.
The aluminum plug or "puck is the round disc on the left side. This puck needs to be removed to access and clean the idle circuit(s).
You've already removed the holding fixture/jets and rubber bung plug.
Although it looks like a screw driver slot, the jet on the left does not screw in to the body. If you invert the carb body, and remove the slide and needle, you can see the bottom of the jets. Gently push them out of the carb,
The jet in middle is screwed in. Be very careful to use the proper size and style of screw driver, or you may fold or knurl the top of the jet.
A little compressed air goes a long way toward removing a stubborn jet.
A good trick is to place the body in a plastic bag to catch any part that might want to leave the rebuilding station, then blow as many out as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Refer to your last picture.
The aluminum plug or "puck is the round disc on the left side. This puck needs to be removed to access and clean the idle circuit(s).
You've already removed the holding fixture/jets and rubber bung plug.
Although it looks like a screw driver slot, the jet on the left does not screw in to the body. If you invert the carb body, and remove the slide and needle, you can see the bottom of the jets. Gently push them out of the carb,
The jet in middle is screwed in. Be very careful to use the proper size and style of screw driver, or you may fold or knurl the top of the jet.
A little compressed air goes a long way toward removing a stubborn jet.
A good trick is to place the body in a plastic bag to catch any part that might want to leave the rebuilding station, then blow as many out as possible.
Thank you!!! I'm running out there to try it now. I'll update this with how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jets were removed without much hassle. However the aluminum plug is still stuck in there. I'll look around tomorrow to see if there are any tips on how to remove it.
Thanks again!

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
compressed air for those pucks as well...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use a1/8 drill bit and drill a shallow hole in the puck. Just enouph to get a small wood screw to bite. and twist it out. Be carefull not to go threw though, puck is only 1/8 thick! You get new with kit. No kit? clean & reinstall with hole out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought the Randakk's complete carb overhaul kit + instructional video from recommendations here. Should be here in a few days, I'm going to wait and see if I can remove the plugs without damage before I drill into 'em.

I'll update the thread when I have made some progress! In the mean time I'm going to see what I can do about getting some tools to forge arrowheads (beginner hobbyist blacksmith)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, just about finished the carb rebuild. So far everything is good, I'm missing the nylon buffer on the #4 carb; also I've got to polish the slides on the top of each carb to get a better action. Any ideas on where I could pick up another buffer online?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Bought the Randakk's complete carb overhaul kit + instructional video from recommendations here. Should be here in a few days, I'm going to wait and see if I can remove the plugs without damage before I drill into 'em.

I'll update the thread when I have made some progress! In the mean time I'm going to see what I can do about getting some tools to forge arrowheads (beginner hobbyist blacksmith)
I was a little surprised that you didn't brag about how Bada$$ Randakk's carb kit & video were. :wtf:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.