Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few delays I finally have a new set of timing belts as well as the special tool from Randakk for timing belt cover bolts. Any tips, tricks or suggestions for this process would be great. I do have 8 years as a motorcycle mechanic during the 80's so I am comfortable with this but want it to go as smoothly as possible. Thank You to all that replied to my previous posts about replacement belts and Monroe Rear Air Shocks, all were very helpful.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Here's a hint for the 1100, I suspect the 1000 is the same....

At TDC, one of the valves on the right head is just starting to open. The cam doesn't want to stay at TDC while you are putting the belts on and it is a bit of a fight. The valve spring wants to turn the cam about two belt cogs counter clockwise. Easy to get the belt one cog off-time that way (BTDT). Engine will run ok but doesn't run "Right".

Rather than fight the valve spring I just let the cam go where it wants, and turn the crankshaft a corresponding two belt-cogs CCW and put the belt on that way. Once the belt is on you can turn the crank back to TDC and make sure the cam pulley lines up as it should.

No fight from the left belt, cam is happy to stay at TDC.

Hope this helps....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts