Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello!

I am new to the forum. My dad recently purchased a 1976 GL1000. It needs some TLC;). We have started tearing it apart as far as removing the covers, etc. We are waiting on our repair manual to come in the mail before we do too much. In our investigations this week we think that the engine is stuck. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas/tips that we might try on getting it freed up. :baffled:I have ordered a kick start lever and the center stand since the bike did not come with one. Any advice would be helpful as we start this rebuild of what can become a beautiful bike.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Yuo are at the right place. More knowlage here than anywhere else. Also go to Randakk Goldwing site before doing anything else. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

What makes you think the motor is stuck? Do you know what the history on the bike is?

Pull all the spark plugs. Put therear wheelin the airand put it in gear. Now try and rotate the rear wheel. The motor should turn over. If not you can put some type of lubricant (wd-40 works) down inside the plug holes and let it set for awhile. Then try and turn it over again. You may have to do that several times. Keep in mind that if the motor is seized and you get it loose you'll have to rebuild it.Sometimes you have to rock it back and forth to get it brokenloose.

This sometimes will work if the top end is seized, if the crank is seized wholedifferent story. Either way I would rebuild it, then you know thatyour motor is new. Are you sure that the clutches aren't what is frozen up.

Just my opinion others mayhave a better way.Keep me informed and welcome to the forum. You are at the right place for Goldwing help

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

Several years ago my 78 Wing "seized" while it was idling. I trailered it home and left it for a year, thinking the engine was shot. I finally investigated and found that one of the magnets on the alternator rotor had broken loose and jammed between the rotor and stator. Don't assume anything until you check it out!!!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

What rocketman says, except I would pull the plugs and try to look in the cylinders.If it looks rusty in there instead of wd40,use some penatrent.liquid wrench or this stuff called croil.load up the cylinders and let it sit for a day or so then try real easy to spin the motor.,

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey! Welcome to Wingdom! My favorite penetrating spray is PB Blaster. I usta use WD-40 for everything, but PB is GRRRRReat! On the centerstand issue, if yours is missing, there's probably a reason. One could be an aftermarket exhaust that interferes with the use/mount of the centerstand, or, possibly rust damage to the crossmember/frame/mount area. I would suggest that you inspect this area closely for damage. Believe me, I know from experience! Look closely at each end of the crossmember where it is welded to the frame for cracks or twisting. The centerstand, when up will sag, and often gets removed for that reason.

Hope that's NOT your problem, but better to know now than later!

Todd

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

scooterbug dude, once the 76 has been set free you're going to love riding it. It's one heck of a bike and I really enjoy mine!
Good luck and if you have fuel tank issues, think "POR"

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!:waving:

Another possiblereason of the stuck engine could be the broken/sliped timing belt which would causea piston to hit thevalve(s). I would check it up as well. By the way, when I mentioned the timing belts, change them anywaybefore trying tostart the engine.

Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.