Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello everyone,

i just went on a voyage of about 300 miles to pick up a gl1000 and am looking for info on good places to go to get this beauty back rolling!!! it starts up and all and is in "fair" condition... (really good for the $450 i paid) anyway... i have drained the tank of all the old fuel and replaced a clogged fuel filter. i do know about Bob's used bike stuff (which is where i got my battery). i would like to take it to someone that will look it over and lemme know what i should do. i understand (thru reading other posts) that i should change the timing belts, oil, fuel, shaft oil, tires... stuff like that. i would like to be able to take it tosomeone so i KNOW it is safe to operate... i am new to the Goldwing world, but had a 77 cb750 a while back and did basic repairs (points and condensers, chain, oil change, etc but i am NOT super-mechanic by any means)

any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

lookie lookie, i have an avatar

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

Welcome wanick, to the best Goldwing resource on the planet, you Sir have for sure come to the right place, ebay is probably your best bet for getting the parts you need, without these fella's and it, mine wouldn't exist.

basically everyone here wants you to be riding your bike, and not working on it, the best help you could ask for, so surf ebay and ask these guys ifyou have any problems, however small, we have a lot of time for guys like you.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hi wanick, get a manual, that bike is simple once you get into it, and a good manual will lead you every step of the way, even the timing belts are an afternoon thing

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks! ive started digging into it a bit... the timing belts are DEFINATELY in need of replacing... pain in the neck getting the covers off without removing the radiator. still cant get the right side off... didnt really want to attack the radiator dismount tonight... maybe tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum.

I am by far NOT a MC mechanic by any means, when I bought my wing I have never worked on a MC before in my life. But the timing belts was one of the first things I tackled, it was a breeze. I changed the hoses using an aftermarket hose that I was able to cut into the 2 pieces I needed, one for the top, one for the bottom hose (just don't forget to tighten the top hose clamp like I did..... It pisses ya off). The whole ordeal took a couple of hours, even with checking, double checking and triple checking the timing marks...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thanks jobe... i will be pulling off the radiator to get to the timing belts... im thinking i will be replacing the hoses too. good call!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

oh, i see you are from phoenix now, one of the (what i consider) most informed guys on this forum is right in your backyard!! i'm sure dennis will weigh in soon

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

sctrucker... well i look forward to hearing from him then! i have been told about a guy named Frenchy that lives out here too, met him when i was trying to rebuild a petcok for an old cb 750 (sold) i had... im a bit overwhelmed and hope i can tackle this project... i got it for $450 expecting to put $ into it, but just trying to get off the radiator, i got a bit worried... plus the gas tank is pretty rusty!! i was looking around and found that I will have to do a lot of work just to get it out, and i dont really know what that will involve. i ordered the clymers too

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

cant get the radiator hoses off!!! they are glued on or something... not happy so far.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

get a hose hook, its a fancy name for an awl that has a 90 degree bend about 1.5" from the pointed end, slip it between the fitting and the hose and work it around to get it loose, if you are replacing the hoses just cut them

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

strucker... i just had to man-handle em a bit with some channel locks... got it out. taking the radiator down to get flushed n pressure tested soon... next step is the tank!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.