Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Idaho title has VIN GL10002036056. The VIN on the bike is GL1-2036056. Trying to title change to Oregon and the DMV will not accept the Idaho title due to the difference. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
a lot of DMVs drop off the preceeding Zeros.
it is just plain stupid that Oregon won't work with you.
maybe a lawyer?

·
Honda Guru
2,069 Posts
Hate to say but Idaho screwed up. Someone in the DMV had a vague knowledge of what the bike was .... being a GL1000 and supplemented the model designation onto the vin numbers.
The title should have read exactly what the VIN is on the frame. I think the only way to get it corrected is going back to (or through) the Idaho DMV. Perhaps you can get it done via email
or on-line. Maybe a lawyer might help but that's expensive.
Good Luck

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,900 Posts
In Oklahoma, they assign a 4 digit character sequence to define the model of the bike, the VIN is recorded precisely as it is on the VIN Plate....

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,999 Posts
Seems weird that the actual vin would eliminate the full model designation like that. Now, if those zeros had been eliminated on the title...

Oh and nothing surprises me about Oregon. They seem to go out of their way to avoid being helpful. However, you might try slipping the guy at the DMV a 50. .. :censored:

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
Obviously someone got the VIN wrong, they only had 10 characters before 1980 so it seems there should be someone with enough sense to realize that and be able to straighten it out by looking at the VIN on the motorcycle. Good luck is about all I can give you.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have a 1977 LandCruiser. The vin on the frame only has 10 digits. All newer vehicles have 17. In Oregon they add leading zeros to the VIN on older titles so it totals 17 digits. This is something the Oregon DMV knows about unless the counter person is younger. Go back to the DMV and ask them if this rule applies to out of state transfers also.

My local DMV office in Coos Bay, Oregon has always been extremely helpful. They were the ones that figured this out for me.

Rayjoe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts