Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 77 gl 1000 keeps losing power. It will run great for a couple days then it just starts running poorly and has no power. Almost like it's running on 2 cylinders. Any suggestions or the?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
27,908 Posts
You have to find out if it is loosing spark or fuel. When it runs bad disconnect the plug wires one at a time and see if you can isolate which cylinders may not be firing and if there is spark there at the time.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
Hello and Welcome to the forum family . Start the bike from cold . after say a minute of running, spray / sprinkle a bit of water on the header pipes ( touch with a finger if your so inclined ) to see if any of the pipes stay cooler or cold compared to the others . This would let you see which cylinder s are not running . If this test shows a cold cylinder then you must determine if its lacking spark or is it not getting fuel .
Have you checked the plugs , spark ? Replaced the fuel filter ? it may be starving for fuel if it runs well at start up then looses power . The gas cap may not be venting and this can also cause a starving for fuewl issue .

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. After much trouble shooting it has been determined the Dyna S ignition I put on last year failed. Has anyone ever had one fail before? My mechanic says it is pretty rare

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have never had one fail, but if you search here you will find lots of people that claim to have had failures.

That said, I have had 'failed' ones on bikes I have purchased, and have found loose/bad wires or incorrectly installed systems that I was able to make work.

A few years ago I had one on a 77 and the thing would barely run, as the installer did not install the ballast on the coils. The ballast was in a box of parts that came with the bike.

For someone that can't set points correctly they are a good way to go, but the stock points are just as good for those that can work with them.

Some people hate them, others love them (like me).

Bill

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,909 Posts
Actually it was a very common problem with the older units. I have had one fail. Supposedly they have solved the problem. ???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.