Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I am new to the forum so I hope this is in the right spot!
So I recently purchased a 1977 GL1000 that basically needs a brand new start.
I’ve torn the bike down to where all I need to do is remove the engine from the frame and begin the process of rebuilding the components of the bike from electrical to carbs and so on.

I’m wondering where I should really start exactly. There is a lot of information online so it’s hard to line it up. I want to get the engine going and focus on performance before I try to assemble anything again.
Any tips on a step by step so I can get this ball rolling?

for instance I hear you shouldn’t try rebuilding carbs unless you fix ignition issues, which I don’t know where to start there either. First time builder,

Much thanks!

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
First thing, what do you know about the bike? Was it running or has it been sitting for an extended period? Since the engine is the major component you need to focus on what it needs first but knowing it's condition is critical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller told me the bike sat for 6 - 10 years. Things are pretty clean as I’ve taken it apart. Just rust in the tank, on some bolts , studs and spark plugs. But it hasn’t ran.

my goal is to get the engine running so I can focus on fitting the bike back together correctly once I finish the performance aspect. I plan on choppin it up, but I’m taking baby steps.

·
Administrator
27,122 Posts
I plan on choppin it up, but I’m taking baby steps.
A shame to chop up & devalue a classic like that. First check that the engine is not seized & the timing belts are intact enough to check it out (then replace them). Connect jumper cables to the starter post and a ground then to a battery to spin the engine and check compression.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not too worried about the value as much. I’m pretty poor as it is so, why not? We all have our visions! Plus this bike will be mine and mine alone.

But I’ll look more into checking compression to keep the progress moving. I’ll have to use my car battery since the battery was dead, but I will link my Instagram for imagery. Once again First time building anything. Any updated tips are much appreciated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 76 GW listed in the classifieds, check it out. Slowride67

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Before you start ripping things apart, make sure you have a good engine and trans.. Going to all the effort to clean and paint everything before it runs is foolish. Not mention the expense!!

Also make sure you have a clean title in your name. Even if you burn out trying to built this. A clear title with make your project (finished or not) easier to sell. Beware of saying I'll get a title later after I've finished it!

Write out a plan or you'll just end up with a disassembled piece of crap.

Good luck with your project! Keep us informed with pictures etc..

Woops!! Just reread you post. Looks like you've already taken things apart. Just ignore the first paragraph. The rest of my post still applies.

Rayjoe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts