Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

OK I had to take apart the engine to connect a problem and found out it had one spinned bearing and one bend rod. After searching I see the bearings are color coded what is the difference. I bought rods pistons and a crankshaft now I trying to figure out what bearing to use. So if someone could explain the color codes I'm guessing oversized. I want a stock size if that helps

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
imported post

All the bearings are color coded in Honda engines. There is a mark (letters and numbers) on the crank and on the block for the main bearings and on the crank and the rod for the rod bearings. You need a manual to translate the marks.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Any idea where at on the crank I see M 1 and Z are these them. Thanks

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Is the crank machined or brand new? If it has been turned, The bearings might be undersized to match the new machined size.

When you are installing your rod & crank bearings, test the size by using plastiguage on them. That way there will be no doubt as to the tolerances.

When I put bearings in anything, I always use pre lube like engine honey or whatever is available. Good old engine oil works too, it just migrates a little too much for me.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,671 Posts
imported post

Way back, my dad and I used STP as a prelube. That was 40+ years ago. Anything that is thick and syrupy...

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
imported post

The main bearing codes are on the end of the block by #1 cylinder and are I,II or III. on the crank near the main journal 1,2 or 3. For the rods, on the crank near the rod journal A,B or C and on the rod 1,2 or 3.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Thanks folks, I picked up the crank rods and piston today, I was suprize the bearing were still on the rods they were green. By the way it's from a 78 does anyone see a problem with this since I have a 77. I'm going to remove the kick starter part and put it on the new to me crank and see how it fits

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

OK got another question, I was reading the manual and it says on cylinder 1 and 3 the connecting rod bearing do not have a oil hole and cylinder 2 and 4 bearing have the oil hole.

Is that right,

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The crank changed the timing index marks in 78. Also there was a change in the oiling ports for the mains but I do not know when that happened. (The more I think about the oil port changes the more I think it may have been during the 1100 run????)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks for the info Whiskerfish, I measured the timing mark and they appear to be the same except one goes T2F other is TF2

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The initial Ignition Timing point changed from 5 BTDC in the 75-77 models to 10 degrees BTDC on the 78/79 models.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.