Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm a newbie and I am restoring a 1977 Goldwing how do you get the radiator out.

The top hose is free and all the nuts and bolts are out, but the lower part will not move. The hose clamps are off and I can't get it to move WTH

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

I don't know if it is like the GL1200, but I just loosened the whole housing that attaches to the engine block. The GL1200 has two bolts, there is a "O"ring for a gasket on the GL1200 so there is no problem dealing with a paper gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

1. Disconnect the upper and lower rad hoses

2. Disconnect the fan electrical connector

3. Remove the 4 bolts that hold the radiator in place. These are located on the front of the rad, one in each corner. 10mm I believe.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

If it's like the 79 1000, be careful when pulling your rad. The overflow branch on your radiator will catch on the heat shield just above the radiator. You need to be a little heavy handed and bend that so you can slide the radiator out. And yes, mine was a serious pain too.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Did you take off the nuts that hold the screen on instead of the radiator on? Over flow hose on top and radiator cap has to come off too and do watch that overflow stub.

PS it's easier to remove the lower radiator tube with the elbow in place than take it off the radiator or the elbow.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
imported post

ChasW wrote:
I don't know if it is like the GL1200, but I just loosened the whole housing that attaches to the engine block. The GL1200 has two bolts, there is a "O"ring for a gasket on the GL1200 so there is no problem dealing with a paper gasket.
Just to be clear, I was talking about the lower hose only as in response to the original post.

On the GL1200, there is only two nuts that hold the rad on. It also the point where the horns mount, not sure ifyours is the same.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll Take it off the lower neck attached seems easier that way.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

and if you think getting it off is difficult, just wait until you try to allign up the bolts putting it back on

and then, there is removing the gas tank:shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.