Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I am in the process of restoring my 77 Wing and just pull the gas tank. Here is the gas tank float. Mine you the tank is not leaking and I intend to clean the tank and line it.

All I can say is OMG

Attachments

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

I read some posts about POR 15 any other recommendations for a tank sealer. Are the tanks being sold any more or am I stuck with fixing it.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

Hey don't knock it that looks like my float I pulled today also out of my 78. the rest of the tank looks the same.
People say that they put chains inside the tank and swish it around to knock off the crud. I don't see how with the Reserve and main line screens in there.. I was able to clean the screen thru the gauge hole with a carb cleaner spray can.. Honda wanted $575 for a new one. If you can still get one somewhere.. why can't they make them out of plastic for replacement.. I really don't know how to clean the barnacles but have to try.. I thought about a handfull of 3/8 nuts and Swish them around.. Just keep away from the screens.. I tried a liquid rust cleaner but it don't really act like rust.. I cleaned off the Gauge and it was still shiney underneath the crud.. I opened the Gauge and was able to clean it enough where it worked with my Ohm meter.. I am open for other Ideas also about the crud.. I may try a wire brush I have a 12" extension and can run that on my Drill.. I see why there was a added filter under the seat.. I saw one on ebay but who can say it don't look like ours.. My tank had 2 gallon of stale gas in it when I got the bike.. the gas didn't cut the crud.. I accept all advice on what to do next..

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I was thinking muric acid or acetone. When I saw that hanging stuff I just thought OMG

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

These guys http://www.cyclepsycho.com/ used to sell clean but not coated tanks very reasonably. Like just over a hundred $ IIRC.
I have heard great sucess stories using electrolisis. It is not as difficult to setup as a lot of folks think. You might try doing a search on it.

I took mine to a Radiator shop and had it done by a professional. He used Red Kote and according to the shop owner the tank will now outlast me. Cost was 150. Talking to others that may be a bit high.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

I used acetone frist to dissolve the gas crud it took several days then muractic acid to clean the rust and then POR15 to seal it. Some really like Redkote..I ahve never used it.

Search threads for POR15 I had a long one on how to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i had good luck with my 79 when i cleaned and coated it . i used the por syestem. followed the dictions to a "t" . came out nice . good luck with yours .

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,666 Posts
imported post

I took my rusty tank to a vendor who acid stripped it in a huge vat, and then he Nickel plated it.

Permanent fix.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

From what I've read somewhere the 77 tanks where the first ones to be coated by the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

cycleman wrote:
From what I've read somewhere the 77 tanks where the first ones to be coated by the manufacturer.
I'm hoping so, that was some grimey stuff. Hopefully it will clean upwell and easy.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
imported post

I will use phosphoric Acid I hear that works good and won't harm the tank. I really don't see Rust, mostly the Crud and barnacles. So will try that first.. If the 78 tank is coated I don't want to damage that. They say Pour 15 flakes off sometimes and makes a bigger mess. once you get it clean if you store it full of gas with stabil it will not rust anyway...but, I cannot guarentee that..

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Just an update on my gas tank for future reference. I had to go with acetone and Muriatic Acid not leaving either one in too long and flushing in between treatments. I had some 20 year old dried up gas on the bottom to dissolve. I tried fuel injector cleaner to get it off the screens in the bottom of the tank which did not work. Finally I used Carb Cleaner and that dissolved it. Also I used baking soda to neutralize

The coating just fell off it was so bad, but the metal was solid with no pitting.

I bought a coating kit from eastwood.com that I'm going to use to finish the job.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
imported post

50/50 acid and water for 30 mins it will look like new and you dont need to seal it , also do this with the sending unit will look new cheep fix

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.