Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

first off thanks to the locksmith that advised my dad i got a key for this bikes ignition. i am grateful for that but do not know the person responsible so thanks if you read this lol. secondly i need more help on the same subject. although the key fit the ignition it does not fit the gas tank and the saddle bags are in the way of the seat lock so will be moving that to try it on the seat lock. but my guess is that someone put a new ignition on that bike or vise versa so they don't match unless it came with two different key? my question is if you have any idea how to fix this problem please let me know how i would remove the gas tank lock to have it re-keyed or what i can do thank you again all of you been much help already.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Gonna bump this up to see if anyone knows the answer to his question.

On the GL1000 does the same key fit the Ignition, tank and seat release?
He had a key cut using the ignition key code and it seems that is the only lockset it fits.
TIA
Hack

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

On my 1975 GL1000 it's the same key which makes me think that the ignition was changed at some point.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

nofixedaddress wrote:
On my 1975 GL1000 it's the same key which makes me think that the ignition was changed at some point.
That was our thoughts also.
I am not where the bike and my son are but is there a way to get the tank and seat release locksets out to take and have them keyed the same as the ignition?

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to that question. I will try to look at my Wing this weekend to see if they can be popped out but I suspect not :(

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

originally the same key fit ignition and gas tank..... sounds like your ignition switch was replaced with an after market switch. saddle bags are all aftermarket on those years and so that key would have been different

once you open the gas tank, the lock can be removed and changed

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
imported post

i loss my key's the lock smith came in and made me 2 new one's that fit all,. ask for a master key, he will rekey everything to fit one key....60.00 later

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

My 76 key opens gas door and the ignition. I think that one or the other hs been changed sometime in the last 30+ years.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Yes the ignition key works both gas tank door & ignition.

If you can see a number on the outside of the gas tank lock, take that to a good key cutter ( one that does it for a living ) and he/she should be able to make you a key for your tank. I had this done for my ignition key as bike was a salvage yard project with no keys. The key that was made works both ignition & tank door.

The saddlebag locks, in most cases, are not worth getting a key made. You can buy replacements so I'd just drill the old ones out so that you can open the saddlebags. Sometimes you can also get them open by drilling out the rivets that hold the doors on. Either way will work.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Thanks to all who have replied.
The statement I made about seat release was incorrect as Y'all know, there is none. Those are the helmet locks.
We will try to look for a code on the outside of the tank lock but in the absence of one is there a way to remove that portion of the bodywork and get the lockset out to carry to the locksmith?

I'm helping my son as I can from afar and your experiences and willingness to share them are something we will be counting on.
He mentioned last evening that the rear brake pedal was stuck and that the rear caliper is dragging on the disc.
I'm thinking a rebuild of both are likely in order. Anything to be mindful of for this operation?

Thanks again for your help
Hack

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

There is just a clip that holds the lock in place. I am assuming that the it is locked closed and you need to open it to get to the lock? There is a pictorial on NGW that shows how to open without a key and without destroying anything. Once open just pull the clip and the lock comes right out.

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=86004&highlight=#86004

You will probably have to sign up on the site to see the post, but it's free. Once out you can see the number on the side of the lock and have a key made for it. OR rekey it yourself.

http://www.nakedgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11330

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thank you all for your help it has been wonderfully useful and should put me ridding that much sooner. see you out and about sooner than later i hope

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.