1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

1977 Honda Goldwing

Making a long story short...

An old friend of mine died and I bought this from his widow. It's been sitting for at least 2 years. I'll try to list what I KNOW is wrong with the bike right now as I haven't gotten into it at all.

Approximately 45,000 miles.

Supposedly ran when they put it in the shed

No title...(lost before he died) I have a bill of sale, odometer certificate & copy of death certificate.

No keys to bike or saddlebags/fairing.

Missing dummy lights cover.

Bike rolled from shed to trailer, transported it home and when I rolled it back off the trailer, it got 1/2 way off and the rear tire locked up.

Front brakes are hanging. (not attached to the forks)

Clutch feels VERY tough.

I have a fair amount of mechanical ability...but wouldn't call myself a "mechanic".

Suggestions on where to start???

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

first of all, bet the rear locked from the brake....
depends on your state... in OK you CANNOT register that bike, so check your DMV.... no sense in working on it if you cannot title it

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I'm still great friends with his widow, and was thinking that same thing. She'll have to get a duplicate title for me and then we can make the "legal transfer" of the bike.

Thank you! :)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

like he said clear title IS a must, i have same bike with very similar circumstances

and your looking at 1000 dollars plus your time to get this thing road-worthy

i did mine because cosmetically it stll looked good.

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

The Standard List for a bike in this condition:

3 Caliper rebuild kits @ 30 each

2 M/C Rebuild Kits @ 30 each

New Brake hoses @ 60

Carb Kit @ 140

New Tires @ 300including installation

New Belts @ 50

Ignition Switch @ 40 (used)

Bag locks [email protected] 15-20 each

Tune up stuff @ 30

Brake Fluid, Anti freeze, oils, etc add an extra 75

So with you doing all the work except mounting your own tires you are pushing 900-1000 as mentioned.

This is all assuming the engine is not seized, the water pump is good, the Stator works, and the Fuel tank is useable. Those are the ones that are questionable on any bike like this.

Also as mentioned here in Virginia it is nothing but a parts bike without a title. Hopefully you can resolve that.

For a complete list of items to address go to Randakks and look uder his tech tips for starting up a GL1000 after a long lay up.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Wow! Good luck with that project. You must like tinkering. :)

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

make sure you check the timing belt. Be a shame you get it all fixed up and that breaks. It is an interference engine so if it breaks, kiss at least a few valves goodbye, probably much more.
Must check item

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.