Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Under Acceleration while in gear (does not occur in neutral) there is a clattering noise. The noise goes away when you release the throttle, but returns almost immediately upon re-accelerating.

The oil is Honda Oil I believe 10/40. It appears to be a transmission noise. It does not appear to be coming from the Final Drive.

When you accelerate the engine, in neutral, there is no clattering. I haven't tried lifting the back end up and accelerating in gear to see if that may be a cause or not.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be?

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

ElvisTorino wrote:
Under Acceleration while in gear (does not occur in neutral) there is a clattering noise. The noise goes away when you release the throttle, but returns almost immediately upon re-accelerating.

The oil is Honda Oil I believe 10/40. It appears to be a transmission noise. It does not appear to be coming from the Final Drive.

When you accelerate the engine, in neutral, there is no clattering. I haven't tried lifting the back end up and accelerating in gear to see if that may be a cause or not.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this may be?
Elvis, noises are very hard to effectively diagnose over the Internet but in most cases internal rattles, knocking, clattering,etc on the early Wings is the internal engine drive chain or the starter chain.. In most cases it is a harmless but annoying noise that appears under acceleration or sometimes a throttle on & off, then a decel..

The 1000's were pretty bad in the chain noise department but never seemed to cause any real problems. Try not to lug the engine (they are revvers not luggers)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Elvis, Twisty is right. The primary drive chain on the early wings do rattle. However, since it occurs only in gear, my thought is that it is clutch chatter. Adjust the clutch for free-play at the lever, as per the manual's instructions. There should be about 1/4 to 1/2 inch travel at the lever of free play. Even so, the clutch sometimes chatters a bit, especially if you let it out from a standstill without enough throttle.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

Elvis.... my '78 occasionally "Pings" on hard acceleration and has done so since the beginning. the '78 carbs do not have an accelerator pump and so the are a bit lean on hard aceleration from pre-ignition. Running a bit higher octane helps. also, I have found that "name-brand" gas does it less than econmy gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.