Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1978 GL1000 Goldwing sat since 1999 and so far i have one carb leaking and it misses real bad while in gear. What is making it miss so bad? I have not replaced the points yet,changed splugs. idles real good. Any help I will be greatful. Would like to see her on the road in the spring

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Go through the carburetors, after 13 years you'll likely find all kinds of nasty things in there.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I picked up a '78 Gl1000 a few months ago that had been sitting since 1990. I highly recommend a complete carb rebuild (I bought Randakk's kit), adjust the valves, timing and sync the carbs. Before you go through the trouble of cleaning/rebuilding the carbs, make sure there is no rust in the gas tank (although, I'm sure there is).

After doing those things to mine, it runs like a champ.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
First ID your issue before changing anything..pull plugs lay on engine look for spark..gas off!!! or BOOOOMMM!!! no spark..bad wire or coil or points or plug??? Got spark?? then check for gas or too much gas..air box off look in plenum is it wet gas flowing across the base..too much gas...leaky carbs flooding out cylinder(s)= carb rebuild lots of stuff to check..look here http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Welcome to the forum ionia_cobra
Add your town/city to your location as there may be someone close willing to help.

First as said the carbs and gas tank and gas filter.
These carbs need to be fully disassembled, all parts removed, including idle screws, springs and o-rings, jets, slides. There is right way to clean them and wrong way. If you want it to run, boil the carbs. Do a forum search on boiling carbs.
Also Randakk's website is full of info on cleaning carbs and has the best kits available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.