Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, new here and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. About 2 weeks ago I bought a 1978 GL1000 with 153,000 miles. PO said he replaced the timing belts about 40,000 4 years ago. Dyna ignition module. Ran fine when I got it, then yesterday started spitting and misfiring, died but then started and ran fine. Today, was riding and it started missing, so I stopped at a friends, now it'll start, idle, die, start, rev, die (like you turn off the ignition). The spark at the plug is really weak (but then I'm not sure just how strong it shouldbe) Jumped the ballast resistor, same symptoms. Put a new fuel filter and fuel pump on last week. I took the coils in to have them tested, won't know til tomorrowif they're ok. If the Dyna module was bad, does it 'die', or would it let the bike run and then die? Sometimes while cranking it backfires something fierce. One friend says put points back on the Dyna is probably going bad, another says they're bulletproof, and it must be something else. First GL I've had, and I'm working in the dark here. Ok, I fix cars, but motorcyles frustrate me. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
imported post

Check the Dyna install. Most are with scotch locks which are notorious for bad/intermittent connections. Cut out the locks, solder and recheck.

The early dyna's weren't known for their dependability. If you do replace, make sure you insall the new ballast.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I don't know about the newer Dyna's, but the older ones NEED a Power Restictor at the coils and one comes with the kit. Make sure you re-install. Coils are not known for going bad on these bikes (from my experience anyway). Could be something clogging up the carb.s; that IS COMMON!! These early carb.s are very sensitive to junk in them.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I'm pretty sure the Dyna was installed correctly, as the PO had it on the bike for several years with no problems, the ballast has another resistor installed on it (or is that stock?). The Clymers that I got with the bike could use some better pictures. I'll double check the connections and grounds, as it's possible something's worn loose. Just frustrating to have it and not being able to ride it :(

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

That 'other' one is the one for the Dyna. My point was to make sure you re-use it if you swap coils, as if the bike ran fine 'before' it had to have it in the first place. I said that in addition to what gl said to be sure if you get a new one to install the new P.R. as well.

Carb. issues can sometimes act like ignition, and ignition issues can act like carb.s. The 1000s have VERY sensitive carb.s so be sure you are fixing the correct system.

Bill

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

When it dies, it's like someone turned off the kill switch, I've been told that if it's the carbs, it'll 'run down' like it's running out of gas before dying, can the carbs do a 'kill switch' type of shut off? You're right, I'd rather be working on the right system. I've thought of shooting starting fluid down the intake to see if it'll run, which would then seem to be fuel, or is starting fluid one of those 'bad ideas' I should avoid on a GL?

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome ., you dont mention how long the bike sat before you bought it so you need to determine if the problem is fuel or spark related.
To check spark go to any auto parts store and purchase a clip on adjustable spark tester $ 5.00 . Adjust tester to your plug gap , connect spark plug wire , clip on to good ground , shut off fuel , in a dark garage or at night turn over motor and check for a good bluish/white spark . If ok
go to fuel checks. If it sat for a long time get rid of the skanky old fuel and refill gas with a can of Seafoam included. Check and clean all connectors and switches .
Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I rode the bike for 2 weeks, about 500 miles before the problem, so I ran quite a bit of new gas thru it, and it was running fine. I pulled a plug and grounded it while cranking, and it has spark, seems weak. Will the Dyna unit provide weak spark as it's dying, or do they just quit?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Amazing what you can find, got the coils tested (good) put them back on, check all the grounds, same problem, then all the lights went out, and turned out there were about 3 strands left of the postive battery cable holding on. How it got enough juice to turn over I don't know. Replaced the cable and things seem good to go. (knock on wood). Thanks to everyone for the input. Any recommendtions for a good carb shop in the SFV area in L.A., as that's next on the agenda.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If it runs fine why do you want to spend hundreds of $$ on a carburetor rebuild or is there something you're not telling us?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hmmmm.... well, if it's hundreds to rebuild them, then maybe they're fine just the way they are, until I get ambitious enough to learn to do it myself

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

replaced belts at 40k 4 years ago? think i would get those replaced soon

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

They're on the list.... strangest thing tho, bike is running fine, HOWEVER, it'll run all day, no problems, but, there's a store near my house, if I stop there, on the way home from there the bike will sputter, kick, backfire, and die, then start right up. If I don't stop there, but drive by, runs fine, the Twilight Zone?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

think i would find a different store,,,,,,, really though, i think i would check the points

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
think i would find a different store,,,,,,, really though, i think i would check the points
No points in there sctrucker. He has the Dyna ignition on his, remember?

Have you put in new spark plugs yet? If not I would put that on my list of things to do soon.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Go over the entire electrical system.

If you missed, then found the battery cable problem, ...chances are there is more to be found.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

hmmmmmmmm no i didnt remember it, my memory is about as long as some other parts of my anatomy, my little toe being one of them

ok,,,,,,, check the mileage from that store to where you work....................... ah hell, youre in the twilight zone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.