Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Took a 250 mile trip and setting at long stop lights it loses all power.After setting 3-5 minutes power returns. PLEASE can any one point me in the right direction. The only thing I have done electrical is replaced the ballast ressistor with an automotive ressistor.Could this be my problem? Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
339 Posts
imported post

Sounds more like a fuel related problem to me. Do you get any smoke when you take back off at the lights? If the engine is setting at an idle it may be loading up. Try some seafoam and see if that helps first.



Later Larry




Just re read your question are you talking about electrical power or engine power?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,169 Posts
imported post

Luver,
It sounds like a electrical problem, loose connection somewhere possibly. Check main fuse, if it still has the "dogbone" fuse you may want to replace it with a more up to date fuse holder and fuse. Sometimes those old dogbone fuses look good but if you handle them, they will fall apart.

John kb0ou
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Larry It is an electical issue. I lose lights and all,after a few minutes it regains power. It has alsohad an electronic ignition up grade at some point in time. Thought that was prblem at first. All help is greatly apreciated. Thanks again
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
339 Posts
imported post

Sounds like something overheating and opening up the resetting as it cool's off. Check relays especially that would be getting air blown across them at running speeds also check if someone might have installed a circuit breaker in themain power circuit. These will open up if they over load and automatically close as they cool.



Later Larry
 

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
Joined
·
3,826 Posts
imported post

Have you hard wired the three yellow wires from the stator? Sounds like the typical connector vs heat problem. Which causes a no charge situation like you describe. Usually the connector will overheat and melt. Just in front of the battery.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
238 Posts
imported post

First of all. Welcome to the forum. Secondly, I think "OBF69" is spot on. Also, DingDong points out a very pesky problem area. Problems don't always present the same symptoms. Good luck with the problem and please keep us informed on your progression with it and the ultimate solution.

Terry
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey fellow wingers,Thanks for all your suggestions. I started cleaning and checking connectorsfrom the left front wiring harness,and worked my way back.When I got to the battery, solenoid,circut breaker area,I found that theblock from the harness had been damaged from overheating in the past. I cut out and replaced the connector andwire to the solenoid circut breaker,and battery. We took the bike for a ride and then let it idle for almost 10 minutes with NO power failure.My wife is sure the problem is solved,I am still a little apprehensive as of yet.I am however going to thank you all again for your help and guidence through this fix.I hope this might help someone else in the future. Thanks again from Luver,and goood riding to all.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top