Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

haven't had any major problems with the wing I bought a month ago, I was just wondering if it is normal to ride out the clutch when you have a passenger. The bike seems to lack take off power even when I am riding solo. I also noticed when I get on it the motor becomes labored around 6,500 rpms from 3rd threw 4th gear.

Any comments would be great. This bike does run good but I think I might have to tinker with the carbs?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this wonderful forum, and most of all congrats on your new Wing. Many will chime in here, but you might start with a little Sea Foam for those carbs. If the carbs were not rebuilt in the last couple years, they should be. Do you have points or EI? If points I believe others will suggest replacing them first, then if she still boggs a little, carb rebuild. With good ignition and clean carbs these babies don't bog down.. and they redline way too easy.. So much fun!
Good luck with yours. Do searches here and learn much more.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,824 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. The older wings seem to have the same problem at take off if the carbs aren't tuned perfectly. Your problem at high rpms could also be points as Morriscatt says. I suggest you go here to learn all about 1000 carbs.

www.randakks.com

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

the all need throttle at start up.... especially the 78-9's as they are the weakest performers of the 1000 series

btw, if you haven't changed the timing belts.... do it

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

What you are describing is not normal. Check the points, ignition timing, spark advance, then carbs. When everything is in tune you'll have to give it a bit of throttle off the line because first gear is a bit on the high side. It should spin freely with plenty of power right up to red line.

Q

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.