Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello to all,

I just purchased a 78 Goldwing with 30,xxx miles. It will not stay running for long once I take it off the kick stand. It wants to idle around 3000 rpm and I do notice it will run on 3 cylinders then the 4th will kick in. I drove it home today and every time I came to a stop I had to keep the throttle open and lean the bike to my left to keep the bike from stalling out. Any suggestions would be great!!!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Friendly bump. Hopefully someone will be along to help soon.

·
Premium Member
12,811 Posts
imported post

Hello and Welcome :waving:

I would suggest the carburetors need to be cleaned . Do you wrench ? Lots of help to found here . Search function will get much info . Asking is good too .You can always start by adding " Sea Foam " to the gas tank . It cant hurt and might help your carb issues. Normally when these bikes have set up a long spell the carbs are gummed up . Once properly cleaned and adjusted they run wonderfully .

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

DeLeon78Wing wrote:
Hello to all,

I just purchased a 78 Goldwing with 30,xxx miles. It will not stay running for long once I take it off the kick stand. It wants to idle around 3000 rpm and I do notice it will run on 3 cylinders then the 4th will kick in. I drove it home today and every time I came to a stop I had to keep the throttle open and lean the bike to my left to keep the bike from stalling out. Any suggestions would be great!!!

I would recomend resetting the float levels.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Read in the how to section on carb removal..it's not straight forward.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I just went through all of the carbs. The guy before me had the carb bowls reversed, I found this out by looking at the brass drain screws.I think I found my problem I hope. It was the carb floats. They were gunked up on 2 and 4. I had to pull the floats and clean the valves that open and close attached to the spring. They were stuck shut the whole time. I am going to put thme back on my bike tonight. Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully she will purrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I would suggest you check the idle passages too before you reassemble everything. The idle passages are tiny and are extremely likely to need cleaning as well. Since you have them off and the bowls off it is a good time. If you don't do it now the chances are that you will be doing it soon.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Something to consider, you'll notice you can't get the carbs out very far without releasing the throttle cables. I found it hard to do, so I took someone's advise here, and re-routed the cable on the outside of the frame when I reassembled. It is now much easier to remove the carbs. If ya do it, just test the throttle and make sure the cables will not bind, before tightening the carbs down.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

I already went through the passages with compressed air. I am now in the process of fine tuning the carbs and the idle. I am really impressed how this bike rides for being 31 years old.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.