Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
How can I tell the difference between synthetic an non-synthetic oil. I recently bought a 1979 GL1000, and the previous owner had no idea what type of oil was being used. I read that it is not good to mix these types. I downloaded an owner's manual so I would like to use the originally recommended oil but I want to make sure it does not have synthetic in it now. Any help--and don't say "they taste different" ?.
Answer to your question is you would have to send sample out to test.Change it ,oil is cheaper than a engine.I have a 1986 Aspencade and purchased it new and have used Spectro Golden 10-40LT it is a synthetic blend oil made for motorcycles. You have to know or remember that at the time your bike was made there was no full synthetic oil made.And synthetic oil sound great lasts longer and better for metal parts.But at the time these bikes were made the specs were not for full synthetic oil.If you have a old bike or car you should use what what was used then or close to it.the old cars need the slugde or wax oil as what they were made for.If you put full syhthic oil in a model T ford it does a lot of knocking in the engine as it is to clean and the tolerances in the old engines are not as tight as the new ones are.Also you have to remember that you have a wet clutch that was not designed for full synthetic oil.As I have noted there are a lot for answers as to what oil or brand to use and there are not as many riders that have these old bikes. I have used this oil all along and never a problem with engine or clutch or the stator that is in oil bath also.You have to worry about the varnish that is used on the wires in the stator. Hope this helps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whoever said that mixing synthetic and non oils was bad is misinformed. You'll see, especially in automotive oils which you would not use, semi-synthetics available. This is a factory blend of the two, but who knows the percentage? For years and many miles I've made my own semi-synthetic for my wings by using two quarts each of Valvoline motorcycle specific 10w-40 synthetic and non at oil change time. It runs smooth and the tranny shifts like an automatic.

·
Administrator
25,584 Posts
Whoever said that mixing synthetic and non oils was bad is misinformed. You'll see, especially in automotive oils which you would not use, semi-synthetics available. This is a factory blend of the two, but who knows the percentage? For years and many miles I've made my own semi-synthetic for my wings by using two quarts each of Valvoline motorcycle specific 10w-40 synthetic and non at oil change time. It runs smooth and the tranny shifts like an automatic.
I read somewhere, on the net so it must be true :) That 25% synthetic oil gave 75% of the benefits of full synthetic.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts