Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forums, this is my first post.

I have a 1979 Goldwing GL1000. It's in pretty good shape for the year, I just picked it up a couple weeks ago.
This is my first bike, a little big I know but I wanted an older honda and this was the best I could find in my price range.

One of the problems with this bike, among a few others, is that I can not get the bike to shift into neutral. When I bought the bike, the previous owner had it up on the "tripod kickstand?" <--not sure of correct term...anyway, the rear wheel was off the ground and it was running in neutral. I got it home and I cannot get the thing to shift into neutral.
I have not taken the course yet so I am in no hurry to ride this thing, but warm weather is coming and I would like to be able to ride it around my property to get used to its size.
Right now I can't even let it idle because i have to have my hand on the clutch at all times so it dosnt take off on me.
another note that might help determine the problem-
neutral light is always on, no matter what gear.
When shifting through the gears, i can hear the click and feel the difference in the shifter. when i try to shift back down into neutral, i dont hear or feel anything. Its like it just does not want to click into gear.
Also I noticed when i am starting it and my hand is tight on the clutch lever, the bike jerks forward when the starter is turning, like a drive gear in engaging. Makes it a little harder to start, i have to roll the bike forward while i am starting it so the battery dosnt drain trying to turn over. once it is running, the bike runs smooth without jerking forward, but again, i have to be holding the clutch lever.

i am sure there are a lot of details still needed to figure out whats going on, but if anyone could give me some direction, i sure would appreciate it.
Thanks.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Don't start the bike while it's in gear anymore.
Ensure there is fresh oil and a new filter in the engine. Delo 400 LE 15W40 is my preference.

Neutral is between 1st and 2nd, ...just so we're clear.

1) Engine OFF > Rock the bike forward and backward, without using the clutch, while upshifting to neutral from 1st gear. Do this many, many times for the practice of it.

2) If the bike is on the centerstand, rotate the wheel by your right hand, forward and backward, while using your left hand to upshift the shift-lever from 1st to neutral, then go back to #1 above.

3) Once coomfortable with #1, start the engine, pull the clutch in and put it in first gear. Use the clutch lever to replicate rocking the bike forward and backward to practice the effort in #1 above. Do this many, many times.

4) After #3 above is comfortable, head out on the street in front of the house (or some other safe place) and practice clutch, gas, brake while staying in 1st gear for a hour or so. Start engine in neutral, downshift to firat, pull off toward a 50' mark, stop when reached while finding neutral. This will take some practice to coordinate a effective stop so that when your feet hit the ground the engine is already in neutral.

Once you get these efforts down, you should be good on finding neutral at anytime and anywhere.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
The Cap'n pretty much said it all.

I'd like to welcome you to the forum.

For the Gurus: I'm not familiar with the cable on the 1000, and I know clutch plates can stick and drag, but is it possible the cable is mis-adjusted enough to cause the drag Vermonter's experiencing?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
The fact that you're having a problem finding neutral, AND the bike lurches with the clutch in may indicate a problem with the clutch disengagement. Try adjusting the cable.
As stated above, roll for and aft lightly to bring neutral from 1st gear. See if it makes a difference with the engine off and the bike running.

ooops....sorry Dennis. I'm with you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i feel like an idiot now. I had no idea neutral was between 1st and 2nd. that is probably my biggest problem right now, so when i get home i will see if i can find neutral and check back with you guys. i still beleive their to be an issue with the clutch cable or something else causing the lurching, as it shouldnt matter what gear i am in, it shouldnt lurch with the clutch engaged.
thanks for the help and the friendly welcome, guys.

in my defense it is my first bike, and the guy i bought it from didnt go through the controls with me. i guess i couldve asked, but i didnt feel like wasting any more of his time (long story).
thanks!

·
killer driller
781 Posts
Welcome to the forum,well the caption pretty much summed it up,in my opinion the 1000 is a great bike concidering its age,it is the bike that inovated all touring bikes

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
The lurching when starting a cold bike in gear is normal and as long as the bike doesn't try to drive off once started and the clutch lever pulled it's fine.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
The lurching when starting a cold bike in gear is normal and as long as the bike doesn't try to drive off once started and the clutch lever pulled it's fine.
I agree, My 1500 does the same thing.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Wait till the first time you start it in neutral, pull the clutch and put it in gear. You'll be checking the floor for transmission parts.:ROFL::ROFL:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as well. You probably wouldn't have listened anyway. You just wanted to go riding!!
hey now, i am a great listener! ( i just rarely take the time to listen) hahaha!
you are right though, i cant wait to get on the thing and just ride it.
Anyone know what i should expect to get for mpg's on a bike this old? 42k miles, rebuilt.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
With today's fuel (10% ethanol) I would be satisfied with 40mpg.
I'd be happy with 42.
I'd be lying with 50.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
theres a place down the road that used to sell non-ethanol gas...that was last year so i hope they still have it.

off topic...
anyway i will try to find neutral in the morning. i feel like an idiot.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
off topic...
anyway i will try to find neutral in the morning. i feel like an idiot.
Any chance that the only thing you've ridden before was an ATV where neutral was at the end of the shift pattern instead of between 1st and 2nd?

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
off topic... anyway... i feel like an idiot.
Hey, wait until you realise that you turned your gas 'off' instead of 'on' and it takes a long-haired old club biker to point out that you, Mr. Hot-Shot Goldwing rider, need to turn your gas on before you try and ride that thing home, ...with ALL of his Club Brothers circled around your dead bike as though it were the OK Corral, with headlights blaring night-into-day so you can take your cobbled-together bike, your beautiful Momma and your DA'd-self home for the night.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any chance that the only thing you've ridden before was an ATV where neutral was at the end of the shift pattern instead of between 1st and 2nd?
Yep! i was assuming it had the same trans set up as the old honda foreman i used to play around with!

Wait'll ya ferget to put the kickstand down......

lets hope for my legs sake, that doesn't happen! i guess a 175lb weakling like myself wasn't built to play around with these things, i have only successfully gotten the bike up on the stand once by myself. i had to pull up and back on the crashbar while simultaneously pushing down on the stand with my foot. i am still feeling it in my spine...

Hey, wait until you realise that you turned your gas 'off' instead of 'on' and it takes a long-haired old club biker to point out that you, Mr. Hot-Shot Goldwing rider, need to turn your gas on before you try and ride that thing home, ...with ALL of his Club Brothers circled around your dead bike as though it were the OK Corral, with headlights blaring night-into-day so you can take your cobbled-together bike, your beautiful Momma and your DA'd-self home for the night.
no worries man, my shutoff petcock apparently does not work. i just put it in all positions to see if it would shut the gas flow off and nothing happened. so i guess i will run out and get a new one some time this week.

And to answer everyone-
i just found neutral. apparently all my problems were revolving around that dillema, as the bike did not lurch when i started it and the clutch seems fine now that i am not trying to start it in gear.:claps:
is the bike supposed to jump a little harsh when i put it in gear?

:bow::bow::bow:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
is the bike supposed to jump a little harsh when i put it in gear?
When cold, and shifting into gear for the first time, it can be a little depending on rpm.
After the idle has settled, it may make a slight noise, but it shouldn't jump.
Unlike Ken, I can't see your bike from here, so I'm not going to tell you it's normal when I have no idea.
Get a book, familiarize yourself with the bike and adjust the clutch and cable.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
79 gl1000

yeah, just shift all the way down til it won't click down that's first then pull up ever so slightly and you'll feel the click just barely, that should be neutral, if you have it in neutral you should be able to roll it back and forth while sitting on it if not your in gear.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah, just shift all the way down til it won't click down that's first then pull up ever so slightly and you'll feel the click just barely, that should be neutral, if you have it in neutral you should be able to roll it back and forth while sitting on it if not your in gear.
yeah i figured it out. just wasnt familiar with it. bike seems fine now, i hope honda changed this sequence over the years? seems a little awkward and potentially dangerous for beginners like myself.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.