Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Goldwing newbie here with the first of many questionsI'm sure. Just bought a non-running Wing and I'm working on getting it in shape. I have an oil leak on the back side of the engine, appears to be in the areawhere the clutch cable enters. On that cover, underneath, appears to be a weep hole like on a water pump, and I'm getting oil dripping ever so slowly out of it. Is it just a matter of taking the two bolts out that hold this cover plateon and replacing a gasket or seal, or am I in for more detailed work?

Mike

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

TxMike wrote:
Goldwing newbie here with the first of many questionsI'm sure. Just bought a non-running Wing and I'm working on getting it in shape. I have an oil leak on the back side of the engine, appears to be in the areawhere the clutch cable enters. On that cover, underneath, appears to be a weep hole like on a water pump, and I'm getting oil dripping ever so slowly out of it. Is it just a matter of taking the two bolts out that hold this cover plateon and replacing a gasket or seal, or am I in for more detailed work?

Mike
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing site on the internet Mike!:waving::waving:

I can't help you with this one but hang in there it won't be long before someone who can will chime in!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

do you have a clymer or haynes manual? Either one of these will help you with what might be involved... I am at work (and it is raining) so I cannot go look on my '78. the weep hole for the water pump is in the front of the engine below where the lower radiator hose enters the engine.

welcome to the forum

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I ordered a Haynes manual this weekend, should have it by the end of the week. I just thought I'd poll the masses and see what you could tell me before that, or if anyone had actually done this.

I know its not the water pump, I was just using that as a reference to describe what I thought was a weep hole. I'm the kind of person that looks at the pictures rather than read the details on how to do something.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

As far as i know, there is no oil weephole on the bike. There is an oil seal on the inside of the clutch cover, behind the clutch lever. Otherwise, the grommets on the cover and the o-ring are to prevent water/debris from entering. Can you see it dripping? Perhaps it is running along underneath the engine from somewhere else and that is the point it is pooling at to drip? There is an oil drain tube there too.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Nope, its leaking from there. I took a rag and cleaned out all around it, came back a few minutes later and there was a small trail of oil coming out of it.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

i recommend taking off the clutch cover then, and seeing if it's leaking internally. If so, then the oil seal behind the clutch lever is worn. It's pretty easy, just use a 10mm open wrench on the two bolts.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I guess the real question I'm asking is, if it is that seal (which I'm guessing it must be), how difficult is it to change? Is it just a matter of pulling the 2 bolts out, moving the clutch lever aside, and pulling out, replacing the seal? Or is there alot more to it than that?

I have 2 honda magna v4's, one I pulled the engine and tore it down completely and rebuilt it. I'm not afraid to do the work, and have no problems with it. Just wondering aloud to you guys since I have no manual in hand yet. On the v4's there is one oil seal that to replace it, the manuals tell you to pull the engine and split the case halves to do it because the seal rests against a lip on the outer side of the case. But then alot of v4 folks found that you can dremel the lip off, replace the seal without pulling the engine, and a dab of sealer holds it in place just as well.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

TxMike wrote:
Goldwing newbie here with the first of many questions
Hey TxMike :waving:Welcome to the greatest Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:Well you have joined the right Forum to ask questions. :weightlifter:Dont be afraid to ask these guy plenty of them, :jumper:and always remember that there is no such thing on this Forum "As a Silly Question" So start :gunner2:

:byebye::18red::byebye:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
Dont be afraid to ask these guy plenty of them, :jumper:and always remember that there is no such thing on this Forum "As a Silly Question" So start :gunner2:
You can say that after "Deer whistles"?

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Mike, it's really easy to pull the cover off. At least then you'll see what's happening. It shouldn't be full of oil in there. If it is the seal, there's only a lock nut /adjuster holding the clutch lever in place, as far as i know. That's working off the HOnda manual, plus a parts microfiche. At least you can make the clutch adjustment while you're there. You might also consider changing the clutch cable while you're pullling it out anyway. Remember to dial the barrel adjuster at the clutch lever/grip all the way in to slack, and then also lower down on the cable on the right hand side of the bike to slack it completely. -- clockwise i believe.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Rodger, only between my ears!!!!

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Mike, is theere a chance that the weep hole is in the fuel pump (the tach cable passes close and is easy to mix up with the clutch cable)?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Here is a picture I pulled off the internet. I made a small green circle around the area the bike is leaking oil....Bottom left hand side of the picture...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

Mike, that is definitely your clutch cover, and definitely an internal seal that is gone. What is the oil level in the crankcase? If it is overfilled, it might have blown past there, though it would have had blown other seals too. Just pull the cover off, put slack in both ends of the cable, and remove the clutch lever. You should find the seal in behind. Again, look at both ends of your cable -- now's the time to replace it.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

I'd say an overfilled crankcase or blocked crankcase ventilation system. The oil level should not be high enough for very much to get through the clutch lifter shaft.

Be certain that you're checkingoil level with the bike on the centerstand!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.